Question

formatting new 200gb hdd .Xp recognises only127gb

By skot139 ·
hi ive just built a new computer when i install my operating system and get to the partioning and formatting section Xp tells me i only have 127gb on my new 200gb hdd.any help would be appreciated

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

new computer, does that also mean new mb?

by DanLM In reply to formatting new 200gb hdd ...

I ask this because all the problems that I have seen with large hard drives usually are the m.b. I had an old computer where I had this issue, what I ended up doing was faking it out. When I bought an external case for the hard drive and plugged it in via USB. It seen the whole drive. Again, it was a mother board issue.

When you boot, it should display what the bios sees for that drive. Does it see 200gb?

If it's too quick, you can always go into your bios and check it there.

If you determine it is the mother board, or the bios that only sees 120 gig. See if there is any new releases for the bios from the manufacturer that allows it to see a larger drive. The manufacturer should also have instructions for flashing of the bios if that is the issue.

Dan

Collapse -

bios recognises 203.gb

by skot139 In reply to new computer, does that a ...

hello dan

thank you for your reply
my bios recognises the drive having 203.9gb could it be my lba jumper settings or the version of windows i have installed it is an earlier version of xp pro pre-sp1

Collapse -

Yep

by Kjell_Andorsen In reply to bios recognises 203.gb

Windows XP without SP1 will often have this problem. See if this article might be of help to you: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

Collapse -

Good catch!

by TechExec2 In reply to Yep

Kjell has got it. Windows XP without SP1 cannot use more than 127 GB of a drive. So, just upgrade to SP1 and this problem will go away.

P.S. I had that problem once myself before upgrading to SP1.

Collapse -

dang, I didn't know that

by DanLM In reply to Yep

Glad I was following this.

Dan

Collapse -

thanks for your help

by skot139 In reply to dang, I didn't know that

i thought that this was the problem many thanks to you all

Back to Hardware Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)