IT Employment

General discussion



By Tame ·
Hello there all of you,
I have some question with regards to doing freelance and contracting jobs, when one is not a an US citizen or a Green Card holder.

I am doing software development, and also web development, and I am not sure if this is best done through a registered company, or if I should do it as one person contractor. And also what are the rules and regulations for this around the world?

I have working permits for Europe and South Africa, but would also like to be able to bid for contracts other places too, like USA (where I got my education) Australia (where I also studied) and Asia.

If anyone could help me, or are in a similar situation, I would be eager to chat with you.


This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Where and how will the work be done

by timwalsh In reply to Freelancing,Contracting

That is the central issue as far as the US is concerned.

Regardless of whether you work for yourself, or some other company, the rules for entry into the US are the same.

As long as you will not be directly employed by a company (i.e. you are a consultant/ contractor), you can enter the US and perform work for a specified period of time on a standard visitor visa. The key to ensure your application for a visa is acted upon favorably, is to get a letter from whichever firm hires you (oryour company) as a consultant, that states the specific purpose and specific time period you will be in the US.

For more information, check out the following website:

(remove any embedded spaces from the URL)

Especially check out the sections titled:
Visitors: Business & Pleasure
Classes of Aliens Ineligible to Receive Visas
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Good luck.

Related Discussions

Related Forums