Question

From Outlook 2003 to Exchange 2007

By takuya_101 ·
OK so I'm volunteering at a local community centre, and after some funding support we spent about $5000 on upgrades, a few (load) setbacks, still getting setbacks.

Anyway, we have one computer which has outlook 2003 installed and has a few years worth of emails, now what is the eases way to transfer the Outlook 2003 account emails to a Exchange 2007, including, contacts, calendars, etc.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Not really sure that I follow you here

by OH Smeg In reply to From Outlook 2003 to Exch ...

Exchange is a Mail Server not a Mail Client. It is used to Host E-Mail for organizations as a Mail Server not to be used to read individual Peoples E-Mails.

However you can setup a Exchange Mail Box for that Person and allow then to connect to the Exchange Server from their computer running Outlook 2003 and that will work perfectly.

Though this article on Mail Box Management may be what you are looking for.

http://tinyurl.com/3xas7p

Col

Collapse -

OK, I'll try this.

by takuya_101 In reply to Not really sure that I fo ...

The network which I will be setting up a SBS 2008, did have one and they used Outlook 2003. I do know that Exchange isn't a client.

What I need to do is transfer or dump all the old emails onto the Exchange Server.

Collapse -

Exchange 2007 Migration

by IT Pixel In reply to OK, I'll try this.

Your question is still not very clear but the following may be useful.

If you are migrating from a standalone Outlook 2003 setup to a setup that uses Exchange 2007 then you can export the old emails, contacts, etc... as .pst files, create new Exchange accounts for the users, connect Outlook to the exchange account, open the exported .pst and then drag-and-drop the emails into the Exchange account or import the emails from the .pst into the new Exchange account using Outlook. If you are doing this for a large number of people you may consider a Microsoft tool called Exmerge. I have successfully used this tool to migrate 100 users emails from an Exchange 5.5 server into a new Exchange 2007 organisation.

If you require further information on either of these, please let me know. I have reviewed the link submitted in the previous post and don't think it answers your question. It certainly seems to be overkill for what you are trying to achieve.

Collapse -

What mail service provided emails before SBS?

by CG IT In reply to OK, I'll try this.

that makes a huge difference in what to do.

If they used a 3rd party email service, then you export to PST files on their local machine. After setting up their domain accounts on SBS, and configuring Outlook to use the Exchange server rather than a 3rd part provider, you import the pst to their Outlook in personal folders.

If you have an existing network with an exchange server, you have to keep that one going and do a swing migration. Swing migration will move everything from the old system to the new system including mailboxes and their contents. However, you should keep the same domain name, Changing the domain name will result in a bunch of problems that can't be fixed.

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)