General discussion

Gateway Desktop Model 0021431401 Wont Boot up

By lelanddimeco ·
The power turns on and the monitor lights up to the traditional "gateway screen" where it says push the tab button to enter system setup. Then it freezes, however you can open and close the CD drive doors and you can shut the computer off by holding the power button - but thats it. I tried putting a floppy disk into the 3.5 drive to see if it would pick it up as a default boot method but nothing happened. I tried putting in a new operating software "windows xp" but that didn't pick up either. I need some ideas.. the key doesn't respond either - other than it lighting up the 3 green lights when you first turn the computer on. HELP .. I got a bad feeling that it could be the CPU?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to Gateway Desktop Model 002 ...

Disconnect HD, CD-ROM (or DVD, CD-RW), and PCI (or ISA) components, except the video card unless it is onboard video.
If the computer boots without freezing, connect one component at a time to find the culprit.
If the computer does not boot, it could be P/S, MB, CPU, CPU fan, RAM, or video. Make sure CPU, CPU fan, RAM, and video card are installed correctly and not loose. You have to have at least 5 known good replacements to find the bad guy. If you have any known good replacement, try it first. Otherwise, you need to take it to a local shop.

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)