General discussion

gateway solo 5150

By ervin_rob2002 ·
I just tried to upgrade the motherboard on a gateway solo 5150, I replaced the harddrive from a 6g to a 20g harddrive.. when i went to turn on the laptop everything boots up but one problem..no picture just a bright blank screen.
I took the laptop a part again and back traced and it seems like everything is in order. so i switched the 6g back and it was still the same.
help

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by adamtechpro In reply to gateway solo 5150

You said it is booting up fine. Are you getting CMOS screens such as the gateway symbol (or whatever brand you bought)and some config info? If no, then it is not booting up fine its just turning on. If it is showing this info, just not booting from the HD, that will happen when you swap a mobo, a majority of the time the HD wont boot. Apprently windows has hardware checks that look for all things to be in order. Microsoft SAYS that everything will boot fine as long as no more than 2 of the devices in the check are changed, which i know for a fact is BS cus i have changed only the mobo before and not beeen able to boot to my HD. If you are getting the cmos screens such as the gateway symbol or whatever brand you bought then you just need to reinstall windows. if its just doing nothing you probably either messed up something in the rebuild or the mobo is just not compaitble with the dell parts. I would never attempt such a thing personally, laptops are very vendor specific. If you cant get it to boot at all i would switch back to the orginal board and see if that boots. If none of the above work then you probably just messed up the laptop and also voided the warranty by opening the case, so you might be out of luck...sorry man

Collapse -

by ervin_rob2002 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by G... In reply to gateway solo 5150

If you say it's booting up by the sound it makes and you don't get anyy pictures the you probably made one of the easiest mistakes on a laptop. You probably caused a problem with the screen's contacts. Check if the screen is back in the right place. If not, try to put it back carefully. If it is then I'd say you'll have to send it back to the producent to get a new screen.

Collapse -

by ervin_rob2002 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by ervin_rob2002 In reply to gateway solo 5150

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)