General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

General 2000 & Exchange 5.5 question

by cybercity ·

(1) Can I have more than 1 subnet in the same W2K Domain?

(2) I have a MS Exchange 5.5 running in NT4 Domain, can I setup another Exchange 5.5 server in W2K Domain with the same server name? Is there any problems if I configure the IMS to connectto the same domain name (e.g. xxxxxx.com)?

(3) After running W2K ADMT (active directory migration tool), both NT4 & W2K domain are both up & running. After this, do I upgrade NT4 PDC and the rest of BDCs & join the new W2K domain (native mode) inorder?

Any help would be appreciated.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by rhernand ·

In reply to General 2000 & Exchange 5.5 question

(1) yes
      (2) No, you cannot have two servers with the same name. Reserve your .com for Intranet
      (3)To capture your Domain accounts from NT 4.0 you need to up-grade the domain in-place. Using ADMT works but you would have to migrate the e-mail using exmerge or other method.
      Upgrade-in Place, Intall an exchange 2000 in your excisting site and move the mailboxes from the ex 5 to ex2000 or install an ADC and manage both servers at the same time.

by cybercity ·

In reply to General 2000 & Exchange 5.5 question

(2) Do you mean I can’t have the same exchange server name in two different domains (they both are running in parallel)?

(3) I have done the W2K migration, now both NT4 & W2K domains are up & running. I am going to move the Exchange server 5.5 over to a W2K server, do I still need to use ADMT to migrate Exchange directory? What is the purpose of doing that

Viewing 0 reply threads