General discussion

Get P2P Win98 from 10Mb Hub to 100Mb

By Earthquake ·
10Mb Hub works fine on win98SE Peer to Peer network, try switching to 100Mb Hub, won't do it. Tried running ethernet on floor[EMI], tried setting Autonegotiate to 100Base, gives solid connectivity light, no way to browse network or ping. All cards are 3COM, file server is desktop tower and workstations are laptops. Updated all drivers, no luck. Only protocol running is TCP/IP. Using latest WinGate for proxy, not using client. Ethernet is CAT5E. Any Idea's?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by shmaltz In reply to Get P2P Win98 from 10Mb H ...

Are you sure the 3COM cards are 100MB cards?

Collapse -

by Earthquake In reply to Get P2P Win98 from 10Mb H ...

Yes, the PCMCIA cards are 3COM Megahertz 3CXFE575CT and the tower has 2 3C905-TX's.

Collapse -

by jimjennings In reply to Get P2P Win98 from 10Mb H ...

Have you checked the max length of your CAT 5 cables? It sounds to me like a problem with the quality of your cabling, perhaps you have a cableway with a large number of unshielded cables bundled together causing too much interferance for good 100Mbconnection. If you have an opportunity during off-hours, try disconnecting all but your server and one or two machines from the hub. if you can get 100Mb connection with those few machines add others until the problem line (or number of lines) showsup. If you can't get the connection with just a few machine (try connecting with short jumpers directly to the hub) then you probably have a problem on the hub side of the network.

Collapse -

Yes, longest length is 70 feet, have tried 2 foot length to hub, same thing. Tried hub at home with 8 machines - worked fine. From original question, I ran new ethernet along the floor from hub to laptops, same issue! Ethernet is brand new CAT5E!

Collapse -

by peter_ohman In reply to Get P2P Win98 from 10Mb H ...

I've experienced problems like this when using autonegotiate. Try setting the speed to 100 Mbps half duplex on all NICS and reboot the machines. Make sure your running half duplex.

--Peter

Collapse -

As I stated in my original message, I turned off autonegotiate and set the speed manually, I had thought of this, because I too have run into it before. No luck. Any other idea's?

Collapse -

by estebandelatorre In reply to Get P2P Win98 from 10Mb H ...

Auto negotiation is the answer.
Any Pci relatively new ni card (with only one utp connector) will auto-negotiate the speed without any other config. Just set it's speed to AUTO.
If the nic card also have another connector, like a BNC or AUI interface, forget it!. Those cards works only at 10MBPS.
In order to detect (Win 9x side) it must be POWERED off/on.
Switch or hub side. Double chack that your hardware is 100mpbs AUTO. Make a connection to the administration software of the switch (console or web interface) and check wheater the port of the switch is configured to AUTO, 10 or 100.
The problem may arrise with the auto option. Here the switch/pc were unable to negotiate the correct speed. Reason:hunderds, but, change (force) the port speed to 100 and boot both hardware.

Collapse -

Sorry, as you will see from previous responses I have tried every possible combination of settings and it will not work.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)