General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Getting guaranteed Internet Access 24/7

by jamie1609954496 ·

Tags: 

In an environment where multiple people in the same household are competing for Internet access there is a trick whereby they can all get internet access simultaneously, I learnt this while working for IBM last century. Simply lock your IP on the local network. Do this by typing “ipconfig /all”2 into a cmd prompt. Go through the result looking for IPv4 address. That will do nicely. Now set your local IP to that address with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 in network & adapter settings IPv4 address and that is all. Very simple. Get everyone you want to share with to do the same thing.
    There is only a few Internet providers including Vodafone who will not let you do this but that is only a reason for not using Vodafone.
    Enjoy,
    J.

You are posting a reply to: Getting guaranteed Internet Access 24/7

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our Community FAQs for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Odd

by rproffitt ·

In reply to Getting guaranteed Internet Access 24/7

This doesn’t work here because of IPv6 and well, other reasons. This sounds like a fix for a broken ISP or router from about a decade ago.

Re: trick

by kees_b ·

What machine from IBM accepted the command ipconfig /all in the last century?

24×7

by danielbora ·

will it really Work?

Re: will it work

by kees_b ·

In reply to 24×7

Good question. And easy to try out for anybody having a home network with 2 PC’s or laptops.

I won’t try it. My router does a very nice job (called DHCP) to allow multiple devices using the Internet at the same time, both wired and wireless. So I have not a single reason to try this trick.
        But it might work for people who only have a modem, not a router.

Viewing 2 reply threads