General discussion

Group policy-Windows 2003 server

By e_canaan ·
I set up a software instalation policy(user conifguration>software setting) so when users connect to windows 2003 server(small business), windows will automatically install certain apps(outllook 2003, IE 6 etc.).

However, users get the following message:
"You must be a member of the local aministrators security group on this computer to install and configure applications. contact your system admin".
And the application installer halts. It works only after I set up a user for them on their local pc with admin previleges..
Is there a way around that; Can I get this policy to work without setting up users as admins on their local pcs????

I'd appreciate your help!!
Thanks
Canaan

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Group policy-Windows 2003 ...

I'll give you this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324750 which outlines how to assign software using group policy. What this doesn't say is that in creating your .msi package you may have to create a script that includes the local administrators account to "run as" as part of the .msi installer package so that when a user chooses the program from the add/remove programs or the installer program automatically runs with assign programs, the script [which a user does not see].

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

that includes the local admin account is run automatically.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)