Networks

General discussion

Group policy-Windows 2003 server

By e_canaan ·
I set up a software instalation policy(user conifguration>software setting) so when users connect to windows 2003 server(small business), windows will automatically install certain apps(outllook 2003, IE 6 etc.).

However, users get the following message:
"You must be a member of the local aministrators security group on this computer to install and configure applications. contact your system admin".
And the application installer halts. It works only after I set up a user for them on their local pc with admin previleges..
Is there a way around that; Can I get this policy to work without setting up users as admins on their local pcs????

I'd appreciate your help!!
Thanks
Canaan

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Group policy-Windows 2003 ...

I'll give you this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324750 which outlines how to assign software using group policy. What this doesn't say is that in creating your .msi package you may have to create a script that includes the local administrators account to "run as" as part of the .msi installer package so that when a user chooses the program from the add/remove programs or the installer program automatically runs with assign programs, the script [which a user does not see].

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

that includes the local admin account is run automatically.