128mb RAM
Windows XP Professional v2002 no-SP
HDD : total capacity : ~15GB
C: used 4.11GB / 4.88GB
used 10.7GB / 12.1GB
Virtual mem on H
C: none
200-500

i have an IBM Thinkpad it gives this crazy problem which hard drie goes madly busy while the CPU usage is below 10%, i thought it might be the windows' background update service but 1) it keeps on going forever, 2) it is so busy that even mouse will freeze for about 20 seconds then cause the exisiting software to freeze.

this also happens to other windows xp pro machines (more ram's), i think it might be virus but they remain clean under norton antivirus 2002/2003, aldo have scanned with PC-cillin's online housecall service.

i don't know how to solve this problem with windows xp, and 98 systems doesn't seen to have this problem. i hope i can hear if anyone knows how to calm the hard drives down, thanks

Cyril

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by icelemon In reply to HDD : 100% CPU : 0%

by the way. windows xp also gives a message saying "virtual memory too low" when this happens

Collapse -

i have just expanded the virtual mem on the D drive to 1000-2000. it still works out the same , please help

Collapse -

by valis In reply to HDD : 100% CPU : 0%

your hard drive is critically low on space. the "virtual memory" refers to an area of the hard drive used when there isn't enough ram on your system, and you dont have enough ram, so the hard drive is being utilized a LOT. this compounded with lack of space on the hard drive is causing you major problems.

your c drive only has ~600 meg free, and if your swap file resides only on c, you CANT get more than that.

dont know what the problem is with the other machines, but more than likely this is going to be the source of the problems on this machine.

solutions would be:
free up space on your system drive and/or move some of the pagefile to your other drive
free up space on both drives
get more ram
get larger hard drive

Collapse -

by icelemon In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

thanks valis,

even i add more mem and hdd space, isn't it strange to see the machine getting busy already as i just started it, thanks for your answer but i still need help :)

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by Skidoggeruk In reply to HDD : 100% CPU : 0%

Have you tried task manager to identify running apps and memory usage? (run this up before problem starts)

This might help identify.

Good luck

Collapse -

by icelemon In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

yey i found the problem, its cidaemon causing it. thank you for listening, ha.

for those of who doesn't know, cidaemon is a "Content Indexing Daemon", a background process that builds a fast search index of the files on your computer. it will eat up large sum of memory.
so disable it as you won't need it for xp.

thanks goes out to Skidoggeruk.cheers, i feel good now.

Cyril

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)