Question

HDMI Select Button on Sony VGC-RT150Y

By kaf1172 ·
I have had an Xbox 360 connected to my Sony VGC-RT150Y by way of HDMI input on the back. In order to switch to this input, you have to press the HDMI select button on the right hand side to do so. I have been able to do this fine for the last 4+ months since i bought it. A couple days ago, I went to play, and when I pressed the same HDMI select button, nothing happened. Usually the button will glow green and change displays to the HDMI input. Nothing is wrong in the Device Manager, I ran every virus/malware program (nothing), even did a system restore. Nothing out of the ordinary has happened from when it last worked until now. Sony Customer Service is a joke and I'm not really sure what could be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Have you considered the button might be broken ? ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to HDMI Select Button on Son ...

If you have repeatedly switched to and from HDMI to internal screen connection for the composite PC display, maybe the microswitch below the button has just given up the ghost.

You said "Usually the button will glow green and change displays to the HDMI input." - What does it do now? If it's not glowing, it ain't working.

Collapse -

most likely...

by kaf1172 In reply to Have you considered the b ...

I finally got thru to Sony Support and they were able to figure out that it was that/or something close to it and they're sending a Tech to do an in-house repair (under warranty of course). Thanks.

Collapse -

Sure enough...

by kaf1172 In reply to most likely...

The actual HDMI select button was fine. The problem was with the circuit board which held the HDMI in/outs went bad. The tech replaced it and now it's fine.

Collapse -

Nice

by seanferd In reply to Sure enough...

Good to know they took care of it. Did Sony put up a huge fight, or was it easy to get them to come out and check it?

Collapse -

Not really...

by kaf1172 In reply to Nice

They didn't put up much of a stink about it. The problem is their support (first few levels anyhow) just didn't have a clue. I understand they're just reading from a manual/computer-whatever but it took no less than 6 different support people (online chat and phone) before the last person figured out that "hey, this part is probably bad". I even told the guy I figured as much. I haven't taken any classes or anything and I knew everything they did (but the last guy). Anyway, long story short- the company they contracted out to fix it was cool, installed the part and all is good. Next time, I'm just going to order the part myself and replace it (unless still under warranty). It only involved taking out about 50 screws or so and pulling out a few parts- nothing terribly difficult.

Collapse -

tech support

by shasca In reply to Not really...

"it took no less than 6 different support people (online chat and phone) before the last person figured out that "hey, this part is probably bad"."

And it took O.M. 15 minutes to figure it out here

Collapse -

Kind of...

by kaf1172 In reply to tech support

It wasn't the microswitch underneath the button. It was the actual board where the HDMI In/Out connections were on that got replaced and made it work. The repairman never touched the actual HDMI select button...

Back to Malware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)