heat pipe?

By Snuffy09 ·
Whats the CPU accessory called that tunnels hot air directly off the fan of the processor to your case fan. I have seen these before I just forget what they are called now that I may need one. They look like condoms with the end cut off Haha

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

CPU Ventilation Duct

by Jacky Howe In reply to heat pipe?


Sure changed the look of condoms since my younger days.

Collapse -

Haha, Thanks

by Snuffy09 In reply to CPU Ventilation Duct

Yeah the one i remember was clear, looked like a ribbed job.

Collapse -

All shapes these days

by Jacky Howe In reply to Haha, Thanks

<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>
<i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TechRepublic Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome. </i> :-bd
<b>How do I rate the answers to my posted Question?</b>
Click on the answer. Click the Mark "Helpful" button displayed below the post. You may mark more than one answer as "Helpful."

Collapse -

These things tend to leave me confused though ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to CPU Ventilation Duct

In the majority of cases, it would appear that the implementation of one of these contraptions is going to contravene the existing airflow.

My gaming rig has a punch-drilled hole in the side casing just where a straight version of one of these ducts would sit - directly in line with my CPU. However since the duct is designed to carry air OUT, it would be constantly fighting with the CPU heatsink fan which is drawing air IN to flood the heatsink and convect the heat away from (through) the heatsink fins directly 'below' it.

Or have I got it wrong ?

Or is it supposed to be a method of supplying the heatsink fan with an 'uninterrupted flow' of incoming air ?

Collapse -

Good one

by Jacky Howe In reply to These things tend to leav ...

From my understanding it supposed to be a method of supplying the heatsink fan with an 'uninterrupted flow' of cooler incoming air. The extractor fans are supposed to get rid of the heated air out the rear of the case.

Collapse -


by Snuffy09 In reply to These things tend to leav ...

my processor has a heatsink and fan, the fan blows air away from the processor. my case fan also blows air out of my tower. So i figured i would connect the 2 with this device for faster heat removal.

Will this heat duct work on a AMD Athlon X2? It doesnt say much in the details.

Collapse -

RE "fan blows air away from the processor" ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to well

Mmm - are you absolutely CERTAIN it's lifting the air AWAY from the processor?

I'd have thought it would've BLOWN the air into the heatsink, to cool it down.

Collapse -

I think there are a few

by Dumphrey In reply to RE "[i]fan blows air away ...

after market heat sinks and fans that do this, but its non-standard (I ahve all so seena few that blew air sideways across the heat sink...).
Pulling air down and onto the cpu heat sink also forces air to circulate around the memory and chip set better then the reverse process.
But in any decent case design, heat should not be an issue unless overclocking.

Collapse -

I have read different

by Snuffy09 In reply to I think there are a few

CPU fan should **** hot air away from the CPU and the case fan takes that air out. I fyou have a case with 2 or more fans you can use a fan for intake.

I am not disagreeing with you it is just what I have grown to understand about it.

How can you tell? Tie streamers to the fan grill like they do on the A/Cs at SEARS?

Collapse -

A little thin strip of paper will do ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to I have read different

Let the CPU heatsink fan spin up, then let the strip of paper brush gently against the spinning fan and see which way it gets pushed, thereby indicating the rotation.

Power down, remembering which way the fan was turning and examine the fan blades.

Turning whichever way it was turning, would that shape of blade PULL or PUSH the air (INTO or OUT OF the heatsink)... :)

Related Discussions

Related Forums