General discussion

Help

By Rholst50 ·
I had to replace my mother board and power supply
but now nothing works my key board mouse do not work and neither dose my floppy drive CD rom my CDRW none of this works did i loose every thing when my mother boad and power supply went? Help let me know what you think. Oh Yes All I get is hard drive error plese in sert start boot disks I have them but sence my floopy drive dose not work
my hands are tied. did I do somthing wrong ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Help

by TheChas In reply to Help

Even with a new motherboard, your hard drive should still at least start loading Windows.

Since the BIOS is asking for a boot disk, it is VERY possible that the electronics on the hard drive were damaged.

Start by double checking that the keyboard and mouse are plugged into the correct connectors.

For PS/2, the mouse connector is the green one.

Next, for the floppy, the cable normally has pin 1 on the opposite side as compared to your hard drive / CD drive.

Check that the hard drive cable is not backwards, and is seated fully on both ends.

Also, remove ALL plug-in cards except your video card.

Unfortunately, it is possible that the power supply failure damaged your peripherals.

What specifically happened that causedyou to replace both the motherboard and power supply?

If it was damage from a lightning strike or power surge, I would suspect that all the hardware is damaged.

Chas

Collapse -

Help

by Rholst50 In reply to Help

Chas I am not sure what happed I was on line at the time went out side for a smoak came back in and a massage said to no hard drvie found please reboot so I rebooted then it ask for start disks put them in and got to a point where it asked for cd put it in and massage said no disk found so I rebooted one more time it stated to load Bios from floppy witch I did not have so Shop told me that I would need new mother board and power supply. and that is where I am at now .

Collapse -

Help

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Help

Firstly if you where getting a message that the HD was faulty or not reconised then the M'Board was probably working and the power supply certianly was. I have had some problems with the IDE leads working themselves lose and all you need to do is open the case and push on the connector at the HDD and then everything works fine for some time. I've always cured this problem with new IDE leads.

But since you've already replaced the M'Board and power supply have you gone into the BIOS and installed teh HDD? Also while it is possible that a power supply failure could cause all the devices to be destroyed you have not described this so at a guess I would think that the IDE leads are the wrong way round on the M'Board. I'm assuming here that you did not unplug the IDE leads from teh HDD CD ect just fromthe M'Board when you replaced it. If the floppy drive light is staying on all the time then that lead is on back the front.

I'm also asuming that the computer is POSTing from your description so without knowing what sought of M'Board that you have I'd try going into the BIOS and seeing if there is a section for the HDD to set them up or are they reconised in the AUTO methoid? If they are AUTO reconised is the HDD being shown when the computer POSTs? Also are the CD ect being shown? These should appear after the memory test is complete and before you start getting any error messages.

Lets know more and between Chas and myself I'm sure that we'll be able to help you.

Collapse -

Help

Dear Colin And Chas Ok I now have the floopy drive and the CDRw working I put thge start disks in and it dose not see them in the floppy I had an old Norton start disk and it gets onley so far the requres a code witch I know longer have just my luck . any way the CD rom still dose not work and yes thecomputer dose see both the cd rom and cdrw but dose not see the hard drive so I figuer that my hard drive is shot. But I do feel luky that the CDRW is working at least as a cd rom rightnow lol if you can 5thinik of any thing elce please let me know . Ron and yes the bios for hdd and cd rom and rw are set on auto . let me know and thans so far you both have been a help.

Collapse -

Help

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Help

OK I think that you've answered you own question the things is working to a point and not seeing the HDD so it will need to be replaced, also as the CD isn't working either I'd have to say that it was shot as well. I'm susposint that you have at thevery least got teh keyboard to work since you are getting some thing off the floppy and you also seem to be able to get into the BIOS.

If you're covered by insurance give them a call and put in a claim for repairs otherwise I guess you're on your own with the cost of the repairs.

Good Luck

Colin.

Collapse -

Help

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Help

by fred07 In reply to Help

Hi, and First, Your HD is either DEAD or your Cable came loose or is BAD, BAD. I am sorry and I know theChas is sorry you did not post here first.
Your added comment says your HD or some connection to you HD went bad.
A power supply is more likely than the MB as when MB's go you get NO bios at all. NO screen to even look at. When such happens, first change video then MB.
YOU lost a HD due to PS or BAD cable.
FIND any working HD and connect to your MB and I don't care if its an old 450mg with win3.1 on it. That will instantly tell you if your HD is DEAD or you have a cable problem.
Hope this helps and we shall keep watch or you post a new tomorrow with with full details PLEASE. I am not the only one here whogets a little testy when someone is misled by a "shop".

Collapse -

Help

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Help

by TheChas In reply to Help

With the added information of how your system originally failed, I am in agreement that the hard drive has failed.

In fact, I suspect that the hard drive may have been the only thing wrong with your PC.

While not likely, I would try a different IDE cable for the drive before giving up on it.

If the BIOS does recognize the drive, but you cannot access the drive, then either the heads or spindle motor have failed.

If there is any critical files on the drive, you can try the tips listed in the TR download "200 Ways to Revive a Dead Hard Drive"

http://tinyurl.com/bivl

Chas

Collapse -

Help

Poster rated this answer

Back to Desktop Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next