General discussion

Help

By Jon Pratt ·
Okay I'm at my wits end. I work for a high school district so we have a perpetual threat from our users as they have a tendency to vandalize our systems. We're using Win2k Terminal services and GP for security. Most components are secured on the server through GP however the one hole that we can't seem to find a solution for is windows help. We've removed the help option from the start menu, but the students discovered that they can press shift-F1 and get the help menu to popup that way. When started from the Start menu help initiates an instance of the hh.exe process. So I attempted to apply no access NTFS permissions to the hh.exe file on the terminal server. However, I discovered that help when executed with shift-F1 runs through the explorer.exe process and you can't disable explorer.exe without disabling the use of windows in general. I've also tried deleted all *.hlp files and that does nothing either. Thinking that the windows 2k help may store itself in a mmc I searched for an associated *.mmc/*.msc and came up with nothing. I'm looking for a way to disable help altogether either by eliminating or reassigning the function key F1 or by universally disabling help on the terminal server. A custom adm for GP would be optimal, but since we're only talking about 2 servers a manual registry poke would work just fine too. Thank you all in advance for your help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Help

by DKlippert In reply to Help

See if there's any thing in this article that will help.
"How to Disable Start\Help".
Type the following in the address box of I.E.:

MSKB Q182439

Collapse -

Help

by Jon Pratt In reply to Help

Thank you for your suggestion however that article references NT 4.0. Win2000 seems to run windows' help much differently. In fact I didn't have this problem when I ran 4.0 because I used the 0 admin kit.

Collapse -

Help

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Help

try deleting all files in the systemroot\help folder.

Leopold

Collapse -

Help

Thanks, but I already tried deleting all(*.hlp) files.

Collapse -

Help

by mark.thomson In reply to Help

Microsoft has changed the format (and extension) of its help files, the new extensions are .CHM (Compiled HtMl)

Collapse -

Help

Thanks that worked!

Collapse -

Help

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Help

I meant ALL files, including the .chm in that folder, the whole content of the folder.

Collapse -

Help

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Help

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)