Question

HELP!!!!!!!!! 2003 AD/DNS with dyndns

By chrisnett ·
Hello please help,

I have created a dyndns account; I have 2003 server with currently 2PCs and a laptop with my home network. I would like to have AD setup on my server to authenticate users when they log on. I have a Linksys router that support dyndns. I have it set up and working, I have remote desktop just fine, however I?m lost with what to config in order to use the 2003 for an AD/DNS and file server. Please let me know what additional info you need from me in order to help me better understand how to set this up.
Thanks in advanced.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

What are trying to do?

by multiplexed In reply to HELP!!!!!!!!! 2003 AD/DN ...

What are you trying to do? If you're trying to set up AD for authenticating machines on the local lan, then run dcpromo from the run box. If you're trying to set up remote access, such as vpn, then try the RRAS (Routing and remote acccess)

Again, please clarify what you're trying to do. Also, technet on microsoft's website may be usefull.

Collapse -

What I'm trying to do?

by chrisnett In reply to What are trying to do?

I wish to have users authenticated by AD as they log in, also set it up for file and print sharing. The remote access would be nice as well. You stated to run dcpromo from the CLI, but from which machine and what will this command do?
Thanks

Collapse -

if you have to ask........

by CG IT In reply to HELP!!!!!!!!! 2003 AD/DN ...

then you don't know Active Directory.

The best suggestion would be to get some books on it and learn it. There isn't enough room to post what to do and why to do it.

Collapse -

Yeah pretty much

by chrisnett In reply to if you have to ask....... ...

Yeah, your right. My background is CCNA and MCDST. However, I'm really just looking for some pointers.

Collapse -

go to Technet

by CG IT In reply to Yeah pretty much

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Click on Windows Server 2003 over on the left, then browse by technology Active Directory.

Collapse -

Still needs assist.

by chrisnett In reply to go to Technet

Ok, so when I disable my linksys router from DHCP, I loss my connection to it all together. What gives?

Collapse -

Perhaps some MCSE training courses are in order for you

by Why Me Worry? In reply to HELP!!!!!!!!! 2003 AD/DN ...

There is way too much technology to discuss on here to fully explain how AD and DNS work together.

Collapse -

I know.

by chrisnett In reply to Perhaps some MCSE trainin ...

I understand that. But my only question is, why do I get disconnected from the router (Linksys) when I disable DHCP?

Collapse -

probably because

by CG IT In reply to I know.

you don't have DHCP running on the W2003 Server.

Question is why did you turn it off. I didn't see anything about DHCP in your questions/posts.

if you disable DHCP on the linksys router, clients behind the router can not get an address, default gateway and DNS information because there is no server to give them that information.

Collapse -

DHCP

by chrisnett In reply to probably because

I do have installed on my 2003 server. WHat I would like to accomplish, is the following.

1. Authenticate users as they log on.
2. File & print server.
3. And have the server dish out IP address. I was told by other members of this site, that in order for to have user authenticated with the AD, I must allow the server to handle IP and not the router. This didnt make much since to me with repect to having the router or server handle the IPs. But either case I cant get it to work.

Thanks

Back to Networks Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next