Question

HELP: Resolving Word 2003 Latency over WAN

By Sobe1Knobe ·
I just wanted to get some feedback and/or answers in regards to a WAN Latency that we are experiencing when opening any Word 2003 files.

The scenario is;

When I tried opening Word files over the WAN, there is a significant delay that I do not believe to be restricted by our bandwidth. It appears with even the smallest of files. We use standard CIFS.

I am aware that Word handles file opens differently than the other apps. Word uses many temporary files and an entire Word file is read and written multiple times, significantly slowing down WAN file transmissions operations. I have ran some test and it appears that the requirements is that the file resides on a server in a different physical location.

I ran a test from a our Citrix environment(Remote Farm) and opened a file that resides to a local file server and there is also a delay.

Yes, we do have WAFS(Tacit Networks) appliance in place - just do not have a time table for a firm-wide production just yet. Needless to say, we need a solution that we can implement while we finalize and test our Tacit Systems. Again, thank you for reading my post and I hope you guys can help me out.

Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)