General discussion

Help with NT to 2003 Upgrade issue

By sostermann ·
I am in the process of upgrading out NT4 domain to 2003. I used an interim upgrade server that I installed NT4 on, promoted it to DC, then installed Windows Enterprise Server 2003 EVALUATION.

Next, I installled 2003 Standard on the permanent (new) server. Everything went fine untill I tried to promote the new 2003 Standard server.

When doing so, I get the following error:

"AD Installation can not continue because the forest is not prepared for installing Win. Server 2003. use the adprep tool to prepare both the forest and the domain. The version of the Active Directory SCHEMA of the source forest is not compatible with the version of active directory on this computer."

When I run the adprep tool it says that the domain/forest is already prepared.

I am wondering if the issue is because of the first (temporary) upgrade server was Enterprise and the permanent server that I am trying to promote is running Standard version. I can not find any documentation to support this though.

Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Figured it out...

by sostermann In reply to Help with NT to 2003 Upgr ...

I got it going now, thanks to an obscure post about the same issue I happened to find. Apparently there are two version of adprep included on the 2003 R2 CD. The one that the Microsoft Help page directs you to is on the first CD in the /i386 folder. That was the one I had tried. There is actually another adprep tool in it's own directory oin the second CD. This one did the trick!

Collapse -

NT4 to 2003 upgrade issue

by rickyv In reply to Help with NT to 2003 Upgr ...

Didn't you find any solution on the net (google, msn search)? We did migration not from upgrade but the real migration (old to new server). But first I have a lot of testing with the virtual machines and use the virtual lab of MS pdf to help us. If something goes wrong with the migration as instructed on the pdf, I verify it on my vmware (I have a lot of snap shot to revert back---step by step from beginning to successfull). Another thing you can do is to buy Technet Plus subscription because it has two support incidents from MS worth about $900 but the technet is only $700. We never use the incident support yet because we found a lot of solution on the net, search first on how to get a better search on IT topic on google, msn , yahoo, etc. Because for sure, other IT people have encountered your problem already. Goodluck!

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)