Help with Windows server 2003 error?

By Billston ·
Hey guys, i was looking through the log on the windows server 2003 box i have been working on in class and i came across this error:

Date: 21/10/2010
Time: 2:53:19PM
Event I 2505
Computer: Simon-S

"The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{15076F5D-CB08-4CC7-80A6-B85CC779C2E6} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at"

So my understanding of this error is that some other device on the network tried connecting with the same device name as my server and there was a conflict. Is this right? If so what could be the cause of this error, poor device naming on my part? Spyware? How would i go about resolving this problem? And also, what does the part about "\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_" mean?
Too many questions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Here we go

by TobiF In reply to Help with Windows server ...

Event id is 2505
Now, open the link in your browser.

Don't select product (since we don't know which product we're talking about here), but enter 2505 in the search field.

I found 3 entries, belonging to different versions of Windows, but with very similar explanation: There are at least 2 computers on the network using exactly the same name.

The reason could be that there are two computers belonging to you, and you need to change the name on at least one of them. (If you don't have any better idea, just add a digit 2 after the name on one of them).
After this, it's better to restart the computer.

Another reason could be that someone made a 100% clone of a system, and didn't even bother to change those things that aren't allowed to be the same on two different computers within one network.

NetBT is connection type (netbios over tcp/ip), all those strange characters are generated in order to be pretty sure that this connection gets a unique name that is used internally between the computers.

Collapse -

dont think you can't change the NetBIOS name if its Active Directory.

by CG IT In reply to Here we go

in Windows Server 2003. you can rename a domain but NetBIOS or machine name, is fixed.

Could be wrong though. Someone might have come up with a way to do it in a domain environment without screwing up Active Directory...

side note: the NetBIOS name is what you see in the drop down box at the logon screen where you can choose a domain or local machine to logon to.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)