General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Hey, my PC is having a problem, it’s had this since 2021

by melebisnuessrfwe ·

A Computer I have is having this problem where it powers on, no display output (GPU is working) and doesn’t post unless I insert a dead stick of Random Access Memory

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Avatar photobirdmantd.

You are posting a reply to: Hey, my PC is having a problem, it’s had this since 2021

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our Community FAQs for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Hey, my PC is having a problem, it’s had this since 2021

by birdmantd ·

In reply to Hey, my PC is having a problem, it’s had this since 2021

You aren’t offering enough information for any constructive help. What make/model computer, what type graphics card or is it installed in the motherboard, what amount and type of RAM installed, any other issues occurring, has the computer been to a shop for evaluation, under warranty or not?

Try again…….

by LordVishnu121 ·

The first step in troubleshooting this issue is to determine if the RAM is causing the problem. To do this, remove the RAM and try powering on the computer. If the computer still does not post, the RAM is not the cause of the issue. If the computer is able to post without the RAM, then it is likely that the RAM is causing the issue. If this is the case, you may need to replace the RAM with new, compatible RAM. If the RAM is not the cause of the issue, then further troubleshooting may be needed. You may need to check the video card, power supply, and other components to determine the cause of the issue.

Note: unrelated link removed by moderator.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by LordVishnu121.
      • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Avatar photokees_b.

by anawilliam850 ·

There are a few possible causes for the problem you’re experiencing with your computer. One possibility is that the RAM is causing a problem with the system’s power-on self-test (POST), which is the process the computer goes through when it first starts up to check that all the hardware is functioning properly.

If a dead stick of RAM is causing the computer to fail POST, it could be that the RAM is faulty and needs to be replaced. A different RAM stick might work fine.

Another possibility is that the RAM slot on the motherboard is damaged, preventing the RAM from making a proper connection. You might want to try to clean the RAM slot, but if that doesn’t work, the motherboard may need to be replaced.

Alternatively, it could be the power supply or the GPU is the issue, if it isn’t the RAM, those parts might need to be check or replace.

Viewing 2 reply threads