Question

Ho do I delete the recovery partition on an HP M7250N Media Center Desktop

By lj55 ·
A friend on mine has the hp and he wants me to install Win 7 Ult. When I inserted the OS disk chose Custome Install it started to install the stopped with a message that there corrupted files that have to be removed before installation can continued. What is the procedure for deleting the Xp media center recovery partition. Any Help will greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Well it depends on what you want to do here

by OH Smeg In reply to Ho do I delete the recove ...

The easiest way is to use a Utility like Boot & Nuke or Kill Disc to wipe the entire HDD and then leave it blank so you can install your OS of choice.

http://www.dban.org/

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Boot & Nuke does a better job but is harder to use with some SATA HDD so most people prefer to use Kill Disc.

You of course need to backup all of the Data on the HDD before using any Wiping Utility.

Col

Collapse -

Wipe the Coplete HDD

by lj55 In reply to Well it depends on what y ...

We want to wipe everything off the hard disk and do a custom install of Win 7 Ult. Thanks I'll try your suggestion and post back with results.

Collapse -

This is just as good

by Jacky Howe In reply to Ho do I delete the recove ...

as the one pass that KillDisk will do.

Boot from the Windows 7 DVD and on the first screen click Next, click Repair your computer, click Next and select Command Prompt.

Type in <b>diskpart</b> and Press Enter.
Type <b>select disk 0</b> and Press Enter.
Now type <b>clean all</b> and Press Enter.

clean [all]

Use the clean command to remove partition or volume formatting from the current in-focus disk by zeroing sectors. By default, only the MBR or GPT partitioning information and any hidden sector information on MBR disks is overwritten. If you specify the all parameter, each and every sector can be zeroed, and all data that is contained on the drive can be deleted.

You could also use diskpart to Partition your drive while you are there.

A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

Edit: format

Collapse -

I'll Try Both Actions

by lj55 In reply to This is just as good

I'll try both of these actions. Thanks for your reply. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.

Collapse -

You already

by Jacky Howe In reply to I'll Try Both Actions

have access to diskpart, it would be easier to use it. Saves creating a CD.

Collapse -

1st. Diskpart. 2nd. The CD

by lj55 In reply to You already

I already created the CD, but will use diskpart I doubt if I'll need to use the CD but I'll bring it anyway. Thanks for the diskpart idea I had forgotten all about that. I hopefully will remember next time.

Collapse -

The CD

by Jacky Howe In reply to 1st. Diskpart. 2nd. The C ...

could come in handy for you.

<i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TechRepublic Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome. </i> :-bd
<HR>
<b>How do I rate the answers to my posted Question?</b>
Click on the answer. Click the Mark "Helpful" button displayed below the post. You may mark more than one answer as "Helpful."

Collapse -

Havent Completed the Task

by lj55 In reply to The CD

Jacky. I did'nt fix the rig in question. But when I do then I'll mark the answers as Helpful. Do not want to jump the gun although I pretty sure several ans. will probably accomplish the task at hand. But I will post when I'm finished and thanks again to all.

Collapse -

That's OK,

by Jacky Howe In reply to Havent Completed the Task

let us know if we can be of any more help.

Collapse -

The other thing you could try is to

by OH Smeg In reply to 1st. Diskpart. 2nd. The C ...

Grab a copy of GParted

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

And delete the Primary Partition then if you want to alter the Windows Partition and add the extra space to it.

Though I think you'll find it better to Follow Jackie's or My first suggestions as if you have already installed an OS tot he HDD when you delete the 0 Partition I think you'll find that the system no longer boots.

OK if you plan to install a new OS but not great if all you wanted was to increase the space on that partition.

Col

Back to Windows Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next