General discussion

Home network 10/100 baseT X-over cables

By Ben Musgrave ·
I have 3 Win 98 PC's hooked together using : UTP X-over cables, and 100 BaseT NIC's.

One end is hooked to cable internet, and internet shareing is enabled. That all works.

What baffels me is that the computer at the far end of this chain can'tsee the first computer in network neighbourhood, and I don't know how to 'ping' past the input NIC to another NIC installed in the same computer, let alone further down the chain.
I have TCP/IP, and NetBEUI enabled.

... ?? I don't know what I'm doing wrong ?

TIA Ben.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Home network 10/100 baseT ...

X-over cables are fine for a pair of computers, but trying to network 4 devices through them is pushing it.

What you really need is a hub/switch to connect all 4 devices to.

I assume that the cable modem is a network device. If so, why limit the other 2 computers connectivity by daisy chaining the connection.

Also, with the hub, you would not need to have the middle computer on in order to get past it.

Collapse -

by Ben Musgrave In reply to Home network 10/100 baseT ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by eBob In reply to Home network 10/100 baseT ...

It sounds like you have Computer A doing ICS. Computer B is plugged into A, and it works fine, including using the ICS. Computer C is plugged into B. It runs by itself, but can't use the ICS.

Right?

OK, but that's not a good setup. ICS is a toy, not a tool, and is not really too useful for this kind of setup.

You could try to make sure routing ("IP Forwarding") is active in B, which should let you get through to A, to use the ICS, but I would not count on it.

A much better alternative is to pick up one of the many available "broadband routers" out there. Drop the ICS off of A, and just plug all of your PCs into the switched ports on the "router".

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Armour In reply to Home network 10/100 baseT ...

I would get rid of using ICS and get a firewall/router switch a 4 port from linksys can be goten for around $115 Canadian This devices has DHCP server built in making it easy to manage and cives you other computer fire wall protection from the net alowing you to use File and print sharing, It also means that the other pc are not dependit on one main system to be on all the time for internet access.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)