Question

• Creator
    Topic

How can I clone a Dell Optiplex GX620?

by mastertechphila ·

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 with all applications and settings ready to clone to 10 other machines. Anytime I try to use a hard drive imager, the imaged drive boots to a “utility” partition with a few ASCII characters and that’s it.
    What goes with these Dell “secret” partitions that they cannot be clonned? Is there a BIOS change needed or what?

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by mastertechphila ·

In reply to How can I clone a Dell Optiplex GX620?

Clarifications

?’s

by shasca ·

Are you talking about the dell restore partition, or the Dell diagnostics partition?

We had to create a pre install task that wiped the partitions, then created a single one before installing the OS. Seems in Dells latest epiphony they have the restore part. ahead of the OS. This caused our imaging solution total confusion.

like such.

select disk 0
      clean
      create partition primary
      select partition 1
      active
      assign
      exit

Sounds as if you are cloning the Recovery Partition

by oh smeg ·

And not the actual Data Partition which contains the OS.

Anyway unless you have a Volume License Copy of all the Software involved particularly from M$ which from Dell you will not have you are commenting an [b]Act of Piracy[/b] against at the very least M$ which could land you in [b]Serious Trouble[/b] and a very large Fine as well as your Name & Residence as well as who ever you work for being listed on M$’s Web Site under those caught stealing from M$. Just have a look at their Enforcement Alerts to see what I mean.

First offense results in a $250,000.00 Fine and the Guilty parties Name & Address being listed. If you persist the Fine gets bigger and the option to settle out of Court isn’t offered. 😉

Col

What are you using to image the drives?

by 1bn0 ·

Are you sure you are including the MBR as well as the partitions?

Are you using a drive image program?

e.g. EASEUS Drive Copy
      http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

or EASEUS TODO Backup
      http://www.todo-backup.com/

I have successfuly cloned GX520, GX 744 and GX760 OptiPlex models. Use SysInternals NewSID to generate unique SIDs’ and rename each machine before joining to the domain.

And yes, OH Smeg, applications are covered under our Microsoft VL plan.

Viewing 3 reply threads