Question

How can I get rid of Error 1706?

By bassettconsulting ·
I have Windows Vista and recently deleted software for my HP Printer and since then I keep seeing this message (I am not certain that this has to do with the HP Software or something else that I may have deleted while cleaning up my computer) - The pop-up says: Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product AiOSoftware. The Windows Installer cannot continue.
I need help on how to get rid of this pop-up. I do have a registry repair software - Uniblue Power Suite - and have just downloaded the Little Registry Cleaner which I hope will help. Any other advice?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Error 1706 usually means there's a problem with the installation files

Either a corrupted download, or dirty CD/DVD etc. May need to redownload the
application you are installing, or clean the CD if installing from that.\
You may need to reinstall the printer drivers, then use Windows Add/
Remove if you no longer need them.

Collapse -

1706, Hard drive error

by mjd420nova In reply to How can I get rid of Erro ...

A 1706 error usually points to a hard drive controller error. This can manifest itself in many ways, either reading or writing to the hard drive, during installion or downloading. It only takes one corrupted bit to scramble everything. HP loads a bunch of junk along with the basic needs for printers. From the error you've described, you deleted a bunch of the HP software but the drivers are still looking for those files. One example I've encountered was with an HP printer that when installed added six more processes and slowed the machine considerably. Backing out and uninstalling from the CD/DVD instead of from the add/remove programs in the control panel and then using add hardware allowed the machine to go to the HP site anf get the appropriate drivers needed without all the junk or added processes.

Collapse -

HP strikes again...

by Bruce Epper In reply to How can I get rid of Erro ...

This is fairly common when removing HP software from an original AIO install. To fix it, you can uninstall all HP software that was installed with the printer drivers as well as the drivers themselves (your printer will need to be powered off). You can then download the bare drivers package for your printer from the HP support website and install them. Don't turn on the printer again until the installer tells you to.

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)