General discussion

How do i open a port in SBS 2000

By amikucki ·
The software I?m running is Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 with Exchange. What I need to do is initiate a TCP/IP connection to an outside server that is listening on port 3101. From my understanding I need to make sure that my firewall is configured to accommodate these types of outbound-initiated connections bi-directionally. So in a nutshell I need to open port 3101. Now I think you can do this by using a wizard in SBS 2000 called ?New IP Packet Filtering?, but I really have no clue where to go from here. Can anyone explain this to me and give me some type of detailed directions on how to go about this successfully without jeopardizing my network security? When I open this wizard there are a few different options but to me it?s all foreign. Can anyone offer some insight? Thank You!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by amikucki In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to How do i open a port in S ...

first question is, is ISA 2000 installed? SBS 2000 comes with ISA 2000 and unless you specifically exlude it during setup, its installed.

Second, you don't have ISA 2000 installed, just SBS2000 with Exchange, theres nothing blocking ports. SBS2000 without ISA 2000 is a naked system. Plug it in to the Internet and you are vunderable to exploit. However, you must run the ICS wizard to connect SBS2000 to the internet. you run this wizard from the SBS administrators console under IIS. Click on IIS in the left pane of the administrators console. In the right pane will appear an Icon to connect your SBS 2000 to the internet via the ICS Wizard.

If your not referring to the above procedure, and are talking about TCP/IP filtering, that is configured at the NIC level. You can enable TCP/IP packet filtering on the NIC that is installed on the computer with SBS2000. You can enable packet filtering on a NIC in virtually all Windows O/S product line. Packet filtering on the NIC is off by default. Click start, navigate control panel, network connections. Right click the LAN connection and choose properties. Highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click the properties radio button. With the properties page open, click on the advanced radio button. With the advanced properties page open, click on the options tab. This is where you enable TCP/IP filtering. you have to check the box to enable filtering which is off by default.

Now, for SBS 2000,

Collapse -

by amikucki In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by amikucki In reply to How do i open a port in S ...

The port connection that i need to makes is for a BlackBerry device... it's not for a server on my network. I just want to now how to successfully open a port and then be able to check that it's working properly.

Collapse -

by amikucki In reply to

I have SBS 2000 with ISA 2000 installed on it. And trying to establish a connection using the new IP packet filter wizard, but i'm not having any luck.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to How do i open a port in S ...

your question was for Small Business Server 2000. Because its for Small Business Server 2000 that particular version comes with ISA server 2000. ISA server 2000 is a proxy server / firewall and if installed will block ALL ports unless specifically allowed. That is why I asked the question is ISA server 2000 installed.

You do not open ports on Small Business Server without ISA server as there is nothing closing any ports. If you have a firewall that might close ports or ISA server 2000 will.

Blackberry's web site does have some information on connections via the web.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

Since you have since said the blackberry device isn't for your network, one must assume that the device will be installed on a computer not on the network. From there again, the question do you have a firewall must be asked? Again, I'll direct you to the blackberry web site as they have specific requirements for using their products on a Windows O/S computer or Windows based network.

Collapse -

by amikucki In reply to

Yes, ISA server 2000 is installled on this machine. This is what i have done so far but have had no luck, something is still blocking it.

1. Click Start, and then click Small Business Server Administrator Console.
2. In the Console Tree, expand Server and Arrays, and then i used the New IP Packet Filter Wizard.

But no luck!

Back to Security Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next