General discussion

How safe is 128 Bit Encryption?

By trenanscott ·
I was wanting to know how safe 128 bit Encryption is and if it is safe to use credit card while having this 128 bit encryption on you machine

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by RCC In reply to How safe is 128 Bit Encry ...

http://www.thawte.com/support/malachi/contents.html
Yes, 128bits encryption is enough for fast SSL web transactions (where you send your credit card number to a WEB site).
The problem is that you:
1. need to trust that the WEB site is trustworthy.
2. your browser does not keep the information cached somewhere (usualy encrypted pages are not kept in cache)

So if you're worried about somebody snooping in while you are transacting with the WEB server (several seconds), 128 bits encryption is enough. You should worry more about the browser, caching, and the posibility that you may be hacked and if the information is stored in a plain-readable format in your computer you can think of consequences...
I hope this helps. There are many other views to encryption, not just the lenght of the encryption key...there are algorithms and type (symetric/asymetric)

Regards,
Radu

Collapse -

by trenanscott In reply to How safe is 128 Bit Encry ...

Thanks for the good Advice

Collapse -

by Russ Werner In reply to How safe is 128 Bit Encry ...

128bit encryption and a ssl connection is as good as it gets. BUT the web is not a secure transaction tool. Read the news, even Microsoft gets hacked. I use the web for credit card purchase all the time. I don't worry about it, but I don't think it is full proof secure either. Ever give your credit card number over the phone system??? Ever wonder if any one is listening??? Web is more secure than that!!! Your question is a very opinionated question, and I have only given you my opinion. I don'tbeleive anyone will state you are 100% safe using a credit card over the internet. But the same people are probably using cards over the net.

Collapse -

Thanks for the help

Collapse -

by csmith In reply to How safe is 128 Bit Encry ...

The risk is not in the 128 bit encryption.
The risk is the criminals who break into the website and steal credit card numbers by the thousands, and then post your credit card number online, if they are not paid a ransom.

There is hope here.
Some firms (very few so far) are starting to use "airwalls".
The airwall system basically consists of an isolated server with "no outside connections", that stores the credit card numbers.
The numbers are removed from the webserver and transfered to it by tape (or floppy) on a regular basis, so only a few credit card numbers are on the web server . (Only the new transactions since the last transfer.)
The "airwall" separated server can communicate with the financial institutions, but only on itsown initiation. I have seen installations where there was a physical switch to break the line as absolute security. (Not just relying on the do not answer setting.)

So, know your websites, and don't worry so much.

Regards, Chris

Collapse -

That is some good info thanks a lot

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)