Question

How to avoid a precompiled webpage message in Visual Studio 2005?

By edean65 ·
Does anyone know of any reason this shouldn't be handled in this way? I needed to load the source code for a web application into Visual Studio 2005, but the solution file wouldn't come up to show me any objects. I fixed this by opening IIS on my machine, which had an alias for the web app set up as a default website. I right-clicked the alias and pointed it at a working copy of the source code folder, while keeping the compiled folder available to recover later as necessary (point the alias back at the compiled version's folder). I think the reason this worked was because the solution file contained a line that showed the project or maybe the application name to be the same as the alias as it appeared in IIS. Also, IIS may provide facilities that allow you to test the app in Visual Studio's view in browser feature.

Doing this allowed Visual Studio 2005 to open the solution for code and design edits, html edits, save and browse results locally in a test. Does anyone know of any reason that this shouldn't be done?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Confused

by robo_dev In reply to How to avoid a precompile ...

What do you mean "Any reason why this should not be done?"

Not sure what you are asking.

If this is a production application on a production server, and you can edit it in real time, then it would be very easy to break it. Thus those responsible for leaving the web server and application totally unsecured should be taken out and flogged :)

Again, not understanding your environment, but I would assume you have a separate production vs. test vs. development environment and/or server??

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by edean65 In reply to Confused

I posted an earlier try to correct this issue as a discussion and it never showed up-- I was afraid it had been censored due to the solution being somewhat unconventional or improperly researched. That turned out to be okay-- the solution I describe here is easier to implement, makes more sense and provides a return to a compiled version of the app as it becomes necessary. I'm working in a local developer environment where we need to be able to edit source in Visual Studio. When we deploy, we do compile the code for the production users. In both cases, our system uses IIS as a deployment server for the web app. At our office, we normally run the compiled version in order to help with tech calls. This seems to have been the core issue that kept our source from opening for edit in Visual Studio on this particular machine. By pointing the application alias in IIS to the folder that contains the source (done at our office), I was able to get at the source code AND provide myself with browser testing abilites for that website from within Visual Studio. I've been trying to locate a fix for this on the web for about two months, and no one had any answers.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by edean65 In reply to Confused

The problem I originally had was that Visual Studio 2005 on this machine would not open the project solution containing the source file references for the project in question. This seems to have been because IIS was configured to see the compiled (uneditable) version.

Back to Web Development Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)