How to change Administrator password (server 2003)

By duncanleaper ·

Im looking for any help on how to change the admin password.

Do i have to do it through active directory?

If i change the password does it have an effect throughout the network

Im pretty new to this so any help would be a bonus

Many Thanks

Duncan Leaper
IT Assistant

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

by Jacky Howe In reply to How to change Administrat ...

can logon to the Server. Once logged on press Ctrl Alt and Del at the same time. Select Change Password.
It could have an effect on the network if Services have been assigned to the account.

The best thing to do is rename it for Security.

Collapse -

Following on from this

by Bizzo In reply to You

If you have only one account on the domain that has admin rights, then I would advise letting the other administrator know what you have changed the password to, also ask them if you can just change the password without going through any "red tape".

I don't mean to sound patronising, it's just that you said you're new to this, and I don't want to see another post in a couple of months saying you've forgot the password.

Good luck in your new job/role/career.

Collapse -

Good Advice Bizzo :)

by Jacky Howe In reply to Following on from this

And I might add seeing that I forgot the "New". Always create a backdoor for yourself. I normally copy the Administrators Account and name it something obscure, that way if anything happens to the Main Admin account you can still access the Server. :)

Collapse -

one last thing

by david.wallis In reply to Good Advice Bizzo :)

if you have a backup strategy in place, then you may need to change the script, because it may be using the admin account and password to access each server, so you may need to go through and change passwords there

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)