Question

How to clear previous file names from Word 2007

By jimmy ·
I am trying to help a buddy who has a new Dell with Windows XP Pro sp3 (Win 7 Pro downgraded to XP Pro sp3) and MS Office Pro 2007. He has recently started to have to share his computer, but he would prefer for the other user not to know what files he has recently been working on. Because of company policies, they have share a login as well as the computer.

I have talked him through changing the settings for 'recent files' to ZERO by going to WORD OPTIONS then ADVANCED, and setting the Number of Recent Docs = 0.

His problem/concern, is that if you go to SAVE AS... then click the Drop Down arrow for the file name, it lists all of the recent files he has accessed.

I have had him do a DISK CLEANUP, clear the HISTORY and everything else from IE8 (I didn't really expect the IE settings to effect it, but I was grasping for straws).

Any help offered will be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Do as follow to clear History

by sunilsjadhav In reply to How to clear previous fil ...

Right Click on taskbar -> Properties -> Start Menu -> Customize

There you will found Clear button which "Clear" all recent Documents history from system.

Collapse -

Thanks, but thats not it

by jimmy In reply to Do as follow to clear His ...

It is not really the Document history, or the recently used programs that is the problem. I had cleared all of these, and I followed your steps, and the programs recently used disappeared from Start Menu.

The problem, or objective, is when you Open MS Word (or Excel also) and you go to SAVE AS... the box for the file name is a drop down combo box, and when it is dropped down, there is a list of file names, with complete paths listed there to choose from.

I have cleared everything that I can think of the clear. I have searched the registry for any of the file names listed in the drop box, and I am still at a loss.

Thank you again for your assistance, but this is a little more 'unique' scenario then what you outlined.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)