General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

How to configure DNS for a Windows 2003 Domain Controller?

by diego.defuentes ·

I have configured a Windows 2003 Server as a Domain Controller and added a regular A record on our main DNS servers with a matching subdomain name pointing to its IP address. Everything works ok so far.

But when i try to add another Windows 2003 server to the new domain i get the message:

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain storage.mrcorp.com.mx:

The error was: “DNS name does not exist.”
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.storage.mrcorp.com.mx

What must i do to be able to add this additional server?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: How to configure DNS for a Windows 2003 Domain Controller?

by curlergirl ·

In reply to How to configure DNS for a Windows 2003 Domain Controller?

You need to do one of two things:

1. Set the new Windows 2003 server to use the other Windows 2003 server at its main DNS server; or

2. Configure the zone file on your main DNS server to forward all requests for that domain to the Windows 2003 DNS server.

When you try to join a domain the machine trying to join has to be able to identify the LDAP (Active Directory) server for the domain. What’s happening is that, although the new Win2K3 server may be able to find the host record for the Win2K3 domain controller, it can’t find the necessary LDAP information to contact Active Directory. That information resides only on the actual DNS DC’s in that domain.

Hope this helps.

by diego.defuentes ·

In reply to Reply To: How to configure DNS for a Windows 2003 Domain Controller?

curlergirl, thank you for your answer.

I did what you suggested, enabled the DNS service in the server that is the Domain Controller and configured to be the resolver it in the server i want to add to the domain in question. And now in the secondary server the DNS lookups work and resolve to the correct IP Address.

But, when i try it to the domain via the Sustem Properties utility i get the exact same error as before.
        The Domain server has two ethernet interfaces and both are in use, i figured that incorrect resolvings to the secondary interface which has an out of range IP address to this would be a problem cause, so temporarily disabled it; and the problem stil persists.

I have checked the DNS zone settings, everything looks allright, and the windows firewall is disabled,so it shouldnt be an issue.

I dont know what else to check, ill keep poking to see if i get somewhere but any further help will be appreciated.

by diego.defuentes ·

curlergirl, thank you for your answer.

I did what you suggested, enabled the DNS service in the server that is the Domain Controller and configured to be the resolver it in the server i want to add to the domain in question. And now in the secondary server the DNS lookups work and resolve to the correct IP Address.

But, when i try it to the domain via the Sustem Properties utility i get the exact same error as before.
      The Domain server has two ethernet interfaces and both are in use, i figured that incorrect resolvings to the secondary interface which has an out of range IP address to this would be a problem cause, so temporarily disabled it; and the problem stil persists.

I have checked the DNS zone settings, everything looks allright, and the windows firewall is disabled,so it shouldnt be an issue.

I dont know what else to check, ill keep poking to see if i get somewhere but any further help will be appreciated.

by curlergirl ·

You may be running into trouble because of entries in the DNS resolver cache on the new machine. Try running ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns on BOTH machines and see if that helps.

Also, on the dual-homed machine, make sure that there aren’t any remaining entries for the disabled NIC in the routing table. And make sure that the enabled NIC (the one on the same IP subnet as the Win2K3 DC) has a static IP address and DNS settings, and is set to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

If not, maybe you could post the exact error you’re now getting, or is it the same?

Hope this helps!

by lowlands ·

And verify if your “domain dns entries” are in your Windows 2003 servers DNS.
      In the root of your forward lookup zones look for _msdcs..
      If those records don’t show up, log on to one of your dc’s and try to run “dcdiag /fix” (i can’t remember for sure if you’ll have to allow dynaic updates on your zones for this)

by diego.defuentes ·

This question was closed by the author

try this

by jbarora1 ·

frist configure dns properly and then try to configure a new domain in existing forest or do a trust relationship it would b done sure.when u configure a dns server check it by type nslookup ipadd in command prompt.

Viewing 5 reply threads