General discussion

How to configure FSMO in windows 2003 server

By tdhanapal2003 ·
hi,

i don't know about configure of FSMO in windows 2003 server .when we have to use in fsmo?if u know anybody above this let me know. pls help me.

Regds
Dhanapal.T

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Dumphrey In reply to How to configure FSMO in ...

The short of it is that AD will take care of FSMO roles on its own. That being said, it may not put roles where you want/need them. This is a good overview from the MS TECH site.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223346
Happy reading =\

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to How to configure FSMO in ...

The article isaacd referred to is great as a basic overview. Generally, if you have a single forest/domain with a few servers in it, you really don't have to worry too much about FSMO roles unless and until you want to add or remove a DC from your domain. When you originally created your forest/domain, all of the FSMO roles were assigned to the first server in the domain. If you haven't moved them, that's where they will still reside. If you then need to remove this DC - that is, either demote it or completely remove it from the domain, even temporarily - you need first to move all of the FSMO roles, as well as the global catalog server role, to a different DC. Otherwise, you'll end up with lots of problems in your Active Directory structure.

If you are working with a more complex domain structure, with subdomains, etc., you have to pay more attention to where your FSMO roles and global catalog servers are placed in the domain structure.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

please help me how to configure FSMO role

by amitjoshi5 In reply to How to configure FSMO in ...

please let me know how to use FSMO role.

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)