General discussion

how to connect 2 windows 2000 server ?

By guch_fu ·
how to connect windows 2000 server from branch office to windows 2000 server at main office ? what peripheral do i need ? can i do that without leased line connection ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Andres- In reply to how to connect 2 windows ...

Yes.
You can use different solutions.
1) If main office has permanent connection to Internet, then dial from branch office to nearest ( cheapest, most reliable ie. ) ISP and use VPN to main office. You need modem ( or ISDN adapter ).
2) You can set up RRAS server in main office and dial from branch there. You need 2 modems or ISDN adapters.

Collapse -

by guch_fu In reply to how to connect 2 windows ...

didn't explain how and where to set up VPN and RRAS and dial ISP

Collapse -

by guch_fu In reply to how to connect 2 windows ...

tell me any solution for that and the set up for each solution

Collapse -

by Iulian Costache In reply to how to connect 2 windows ...

Use a modem in branch office. Install it with start->settings->control panel->phone and modem...
Right click on "My network places"->properties. Dbl click on "Make new connection". Select Dial-up to the internet. Follow instructions.
Connect to internet.
Dbl click on "Make new connection". Select VPN network. Follow instructions. The user must exist on remote server, have access to it from network. You can use the administrator account (dangerous but you can).
On server at main office install other modem. Dbl click on make new connection and select Accept incoming connections and be sure to select accept VPN connections. Select the user to grant access. The server must be connected to internet. If it is not connect it just like the onein the branch office.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)