Question

How to diagnose HP zv5000 start up issues?

By a_vivek ·
I have a HP zv5000 with an AMD processor that does not boot up (Windows XP). When I press the IO button, the fans on the machine come on real high and nothing else seems to happen (no picture, the IO LED does not come on but the wireless LED, speaker LED do come on). The fan keeps going at the same high speed for ever and nothing comes on the screen?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

It could be a few things.....

First try the processor.
Take off the heatsink and fan, give it a good clean and before you replace it put on a very,very small bit of thermal paste and spread evenly on the processor.

Video card not seated properly, take out and replace firmly.
Memory, take out and replace slowly but firmly.
Post back if all goes well or not.

Collapse -

Also try a Known Good Power Supply

by OH Smeg In reply to How to diagnose HP zv5000 ...

Before doing anything else. Just because the Fans runs and a LED Lights only means that there is 12 & 1.5 V DC present there in no indication that the remaining Voltages necessary for the correct function of the system are present.

Col

Collapse -

Did not help

by a_vivek In reply to How to diagnose HP zv5000 ...

I cleaned the fans, processor, memory etc but still the same. How do I use an alternate (good) power supply?

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by OH Smeg In reply to Did not help

Replace the PS with one that you know works.

Collapse -

Perform a hard reset.....

If a PC suddenly fails to boot properly, you should perform a hard reset as the first action. Performing the hard reset will correct many problems. If the computer still does not start properly, select your symptom from the list below to guide you to the recommended corrective actions.
1. Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and SD media cards. You want to test the computer not the accessories!
2. Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds to drain all residual power and restore default startup settings.
3. Reconnect the AC power adapter (but do NOT insert the battery), Press the Power button, Look for glowing LEDs near caps lock and num lock keys, and Listen for sounds of a fan or other moving parts turning.

More info here:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/62ebqpw

Back to Laptops Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)