General discussion

How to edit Windows 2000 Pro Registry in DOS

By 1 Sane Nerd@Work ·
My Windows 2000 Pro cannot log-in anymore. It has a bad registry in HKLM \software\windows NT\Current Version\winlogon because I mistakenly restore with a WinXP Pro registry.
I have the backup of this Win200 Pro key in a diskette called winlogon.reg.
How to override the dead win2k registry with the one on diskette? (in DOS command mode-since windows cannot start anymore.) TIA

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to How to edit Windows 2000 ...

well if the drive is NTFS your out of luck doing a DOS mode anything. Nothing but W2K/XP NT service pack 4 can read a NTFS disk. best course with NTFS is to install W2K in another partition which will then be able to read the NTFS partition. from there just repair the registry.

Might try a boot to CD and do a repair on the installation, or recovery console repair if you can get that far.

Collapse -

by 1 Sane Nerd@Work In reply to

I got tools that can read the NTFS partition in DOS/Linux (i.e.non GUI) by booting from CD or Floppy. This is not an issue that I cannot handle. I need a tool or way to edit the registry without the Windows GUI. I need to add back/overide the correct key i.e. winlogon into the problem Win2K from my *.reg file in floppy. Or perhaps, do a raw text insertion into the software key. I can also do a recovery console but how to amend the registry from this R/Console?
Thanks.

Collapse -

by EndTask In reply to How to edit Windows 2000 ...

What you need to do is remove the drive and boot up another 2000 PC with the faulty system's drive as slave.
Run Regedt32.
Goto HKey_Local_Machine
Click registry, load hive.
Browse to ?:\winnt\system32\config (where ? is your slave drive)
Type a temporary name to call your hive, like "TempSYS".
Go down to TempSYS\windows NT\Current Version\winlogon.
rectify the values MANUALLY.
when you're satisfied go back up the tree and make sure that TempSYS is selected and click Registry, Unload hive.
VOILA!
Remove the drive, put it back where it's supposed
Be and boot up!

Collapse -

pls give more detail info as highlighted by rookstar below.

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to How to edit Windows 2000 ...

You can do an InPlace Upgrade. Knowledge base article # 292175

http://tinyurl.com/5za4v

Lee

Collapse -

Since I knew the problem is in the registry, I still prefer to fix the registry instead of overiding the Win2K with another reinstallation which might even bring more issues and I had system files in it that I cannot afford to lose yet. I also doubt it will fix the registry with another reinstallation. My drive is SCSI type and I do not have another computer with this interface at the moment to swap.

Collapse -

by rookstar In reply to How to edit Windows 2000 ...

I also got the same problem!!

I did all this->
Run Regedt32.
Goto HKey_Local_Machine
Click registry, load hive.
Browse to ?:\winnt\system32\config (where ? is your slave drive)

here's where I get stuck. The programs wants me to load a file but you don't say which file I got to click to load

Please help

Collapse -

Re: Registry problem

by Aug_Andrey In reply to

You onen a registry so naturaly open files would have .reg extention
Find one you want to open on your local drives or other places and (Import) in registry. Use Menus - File - Import in registry. Browse to file with .reg extention and press ok to import it.

That's it focks....

Collapse -

by EndTask In reply to How to edit Windows 2000 ...

The hive you want to load is SOFTWARE
anything Else?

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)