Question

How to enable null share access on 2003 member server

By d.g.bamforth ·
Hi,

I am attempting to allow anonymous access to a specific share however I am still getting asked for credentials whenever I try connect to it, at this point I can put in any credentials (no password necessary) and it will work, however I need to get rid of this window and allow users to connect without any interaction.

Here is what I have done so far ...

Enable the guest account and give it a blank password

Group policy changes:
Network Access: allow anonymous SID/Name translation: disabled
Network Access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts: disabled
Network Access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares: disabled
Network Access: let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users: enabled
Network Access: restrict remote access to named pipes and shares: disabled

I have done this at domain policy level as well as on the individual server. Still works (or rather doesn't) the same way.

I have noticed that if I map the unc path via the command line I get this error.

The password or user name is invalid for \\server\share.

Enter the user name for \\server:

If I supply anything as the username at this point or map it with the switch "/user:domain\randomanything" it works fine, (no password needed).

Any solutions would be great.

Daryl

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Re: How to enable null share access

I have listed Microsoft website here for you for more info. I hope this helps you.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/sharepoint/V2/reskit/c2661881x.mspx

Collapse -

No good

by d.g.bamforth In reply to Re: How to enable null sh ...

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I need people to be able to connect to the share without extra authentication. It is behind a corporate firewall using private address ranges, but across a few departments, we are using AD on our side, the 'main' departments use only netware with no plans to swap. I don't want to have to maintain an extra username/password for every user.

Daryl

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)