Question

How to find Win2000 log on password

By maszpak ·
Help! I can't log on to the system. Need to find or reset log on password.
I haven't worked with windows 200 in a while. I am setting up my parents computer after a move and can't log on because they can't remember the password. Please tell me how to get it? Do I go into the BIOS? They may have joined a workgroup, so I don't know how to approach this. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

admin account

by operator1 In reply to How to find Win2000 log o ...

hi,
you need to go to safe mode and if admin account is still active and without password you can use it to change the password of your parrents account.
on XP at one stage of booting it says "Press F8 for advanced boot options" so something similar must be also in 2000.
watch the screen while booting and it should tell you.If not press F8 key every one or two seconds.if you dont get to menu repeat with every "F" key until you get right one.
so once you get to safe mode it should ask you into which account you want to log in.select administrator and if it is default
(means no password)you are in.
then in safe mode you can go to control panel and change or remove password fromm your parents account.
hope it will work.
bye

Collapse -

Thanks, but already tried safe mode

by maszpak In reply to admin account

Thanks. But I had already tried to boot into safe mode and it still wanted a password to load the OS. I left one blank, both blank, used admin, and that didn't get me in. Any other suggestions? I am so grateful for your response.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 login without password

by swollenburg In reply to admin account

Your directions for logging into the computer worked great - I used the safe mode adminstrator account and got right in and then changed user passwords. The computer works great now - thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)