Networks

Question

How to import DNS records previously exported to CSV back into Server 2003?

By cchan ·
I have previously exported a lot of DNS records from a DNS server on Windows Server 2003. Now I wish to import those records back into my DNS forward lookup zone. I however cannot find any menu within the MMC that allows me to do that. I am wondering if there is a way for me to import those records without having to enter them manually (there are nearly 100 records involved).

Thanks very much!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

import dns

by arosenblum In reply to How to import DNS records ...

Did you ever find out how to do this? I am trying to do the same (import DNS records) and have not found any information.

Collapse -

How to "import" records

by acrazysailor In reply to import dns

I did this with a standard primary zone by modifying the .dns file appropriate to the zone and cutting and pasting from the exported file.

The format is pretty straight forward. I haven't checked the AD integrated zone but I believe you can do this there as well.

Collapse -

This worked for me...

by bull01lay In reply to How to "import" records

Change zone type to Primary - restart dns.
Search for the <zone_name.dns> file
Copy and paste exported zone records directly into it as stated by acrazysailor.
Restart dns.
Change type to AD Integrated - restart dns.

Collapse -

Worked for me to......except

by gavin.holdstock In reply to This worked for me...

Thanks for this it worked a treat. A point for others, after doing what bull01lay did they did not import until I reloaded the file. That then looks at *.dns and imports the records.