General discussion

How to install from Msdoss6.22

By Everett Alvarez ·
Help!I have a built pc from scratch and i am trying to install windows2k(Full version)?
I have tried the following:
I created four boot diskettes then i inserted the cd into the cdrom. (basic cdrom drivers are installed)
I verified that the cdrom was able to read the files, so i rebooted and installed first from the diskttes.
Then it asked me to insert the windows2000cd. It went thru the numerous questions and it was at 79% done, when it asked that the cdrom was not inserted correctly or to hit escape or something. I then rebooted and tired it again. It got worse i was unable to even go beyond 4% after that. I tried to changed the cmos, to have the pc boot from cd but unable or it does not support it. So my question is do i need better cdrom drivers or some type of setting in cd drivers to have it read it correctly?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by james In reply to How to install from Msdos ...

Try this URL for compatibility questions:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/windows2000pro/deploy/w2koffice/dep01.asp

If you have SMS 2.0 use the chkupgrd.exe utility see URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/windows2000pro/deploy/w2koffice/dep01.asp

if you have already or are considering upgrading to win 9x first you may type:

WINNT32.EXE /checkupgradeonly

the textbook does not offer WINNT /checkupgradeonly as an option but no harm in trying it as well.

Collapse -

by Everett Alvarez In reply to How to install from Msdos ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by erikdr In reply to How to install from Msdos ...

Don't have the W2K Install guide at hand here, but what I do works great:
* Have a DOS boot disk with working CD-ROM drivers
* After booting, run a certain EXE from the CD-ROM. It's not the one mentioned in the previous message, there _is_ really one that works from DOS.
Now, all file copying from CD-ROM is being done while in DOS so you won't have problems with the W2K CD drivers.

Hope this helps,

<Erik> - The Netherlands

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to How to install from Msdos ...

Ok. Boot to the DOS boot floppy with the CDROM drivers.
Put the Win2K cd in the cd rom drive.
Go to the cd rom drive letter, to the I386 folder.
Run WINNT.EXE
That is the install executible for use when you are booting off a DOS floppy, or are NOT currently in a 32-bit operating system.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Dr. Dale In reply to How to install from Msdos ...

If you have the room on your hard drive, copy the i386 folder first, reboot the computer bypassing your start up files (F5 in DOS), and run the setup routine (WINNT.EXE with appropriate switches) from the hard drive. This has several advantages. Youdon't have to find the CD every time you install something. The installation will go much quicker. You will avoid the CD-ROM issues you've been encountering. And you will not have any 16 bit drivers resident in memory when the installation routine runs. This will help to avoid any "compatibility mode" issues.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Hello Dr.Dave
Hey that is a good answer. I did copy over the i386 to my harddrive, but i do not remember the appropiate switches or if i need to boot up the boot diskettes and do the procedures....

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next