General discussion

How to install the first win2000 Domain

By asalx ·
I got stuck on instlling the first domain
can i get the steps on how do that
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by spiceman In reply to How to install the first ...

install windows 2000 server and in the installation it will ask you whether this computer will be a stand alone server, member server or domain controller. choose domain controller and you are all set after the installation of network card and protocols you want to use for the network.

Collapse -

by asalx In reply to How to install the first ...

this did not help, i read that in many books

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to How to install the first ...

Once you have installed Windows2000 Server, you can either use the Configure Your Server Wizard, or run dcpromo to start the AD installation.
Steps required for the your root server (First Win2K AD server in a forest).
1) Now what namespace you will use for your root. You can use your registered domain name your a private name(ex: mycompany.com or mycompany.local)
2) What NETBIOS domain you will use. (By default it will select the first 15 characters of first part of the name from step 1. EX: MYCOMPANY)
3) You need to have a DNS server that supports SRV records (For Unix BIND 4.9.7 or later- 8.2.2 is recommended because it supports Dynamic Updates and Incremental transfers) If you dont have DNS installed or a compatiable DNS on yournetwork, dcpromo will ask to install the DNS service on your root server and will automatically configure the foward lookup zone. Win2K DNS servers are highly recommended for AD.
Those are the things to know ahead of time.
Just walk through the wizard. The default setting are selected for the first server. You will only need to add naming information during the setup. (you will need access to the I386 folder if you have to install the DNS service)
Hope that helps

Collapse -

did not help, could be found in any book

Collapse -

by donna.kennedy In reply to How to install the first ...

I installed W2K on a LAN and had a problem with response time (20 minutes to receive a print job) the problem was setting the 10/100 Mbps NIC to 100 at the hub.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to How to install the first ...

Where did you get stuck on installing AD? What is the error? The steps for a first server are simple. You WILL find it in any Windows2000 book. Please provide more information to what your issue is.
Thanks

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Sorites In reply to How to install the first ...

Are you installing AD or DNS which type of domain are you refering to? To install AD you need to first install DNS goto http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=13503 this is the best least complicated answer I have found. Then once you have completed this supply the setup information to the AD wizard and you should be All Good.

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next