Question

How to re-install Win XP on Compaq Presario R5412X

By tees32 ·
I have a Compaq Presario R5412X which I had to wipe hard drive and now I need to re-install the OS..I did not wipe the drive with the factory image but I can't get to it...when I boot up, it is giving a msg of " Missing OS" What can I do to re-install Windows? Pc does not have recovery disk!!! Pls help!!!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You'll need to contact HP here

by OH Smeg In reply to How to re-install Win XP ...

And Order a Recovery Set or use a OEM Version of whatever OS it was that you had Installed.

There is no place to Download a ISO from and when you wiped the Drive it also wiped the Base Files which distinguish the Partition Tables and the Install File Startup Option.

You could try a Boot Disc and see if you can access the Recovery Partition but I wouldn't expect it to work.

Col

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by tees32 In reply to You'll need to contact HP ...

The Factory image is still on the drive...what is it for?

Collapse -

The Factory Image is to Rebuild the OS Load To As New

by OH Smeg In reply to How to re-install Win XP ...

But as it's not at the Root of the Drive it needs the Files on the bit that you wiped.

It can format the drive maybe depending on who made the Image and finish the install and replace the necessary Files in the process.

But the Factory Image is useless if you can not access it by the Key Combinations so it's effectively just Wasted Space on the HDD.

Col

Back to Hardware Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)