General discussion

How to support 300 PC's & 12 servers?

By dennis ·
We are now down to 2 people with 300 Win 95 PC's and 12 servers, Novell 4.11, NT4, & Win2K. Can you give me some tips?

Thanks for your help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by True_Texan In reply to How to support 300 PC's & ...

I don't think any one answer is going to help you much, but I'll give you my two cents worth. I'd get a copy of Norton Ghost and make ghost images for as many of the PCs as you can. Then, when you have problems, you can re-ghost the machine ratherthan having to reinstall the OS. I'd also look into a program called Proxy. It operates the same way that PC Anywhere does (where you can take control of a remote PC), but it does so with much less overhead on the remote machines. Also, if you haven't already, centralize as much file storage as you can on servers rather than on individual machines. Make sure the users know that files stored on individual PCs are their responsibility - not yours. If a number of servers are file servers, youmight also look into getting a SAN (Storage Area Network). This might lessen your workload on file servers.

Good Luck!

Collapse -

by dennis In reply to How to support 300 PC's & ...

I already use ghost for about five years. I will look into proxy, I use VNC now because it is free. We have been using Snap servers to take up slack in the storage dept.

Thanks for your input. Dennis

Collapse -

by eBob In reply to How to support 300 PC's & ...

I would recommend consolidating to the bare minimum number of environments. If possible, drop the NetWare, and focus on the Windoze. Nothing against NetWare, but you're more or less "stuck" with using Windoze, and with your limited staff, you need to K.I.S.S. Upgrade Win95 to at least NT4, W2K if possible.

Are you running WinNT domain or a workgroup? How about W2K ADS?

In either case, review your system policies and centralise as much as possible. If possible, lock down the desktops to keep your friendly and knowledgeable (ahem!) users from 'gerfiddling' with them, then requiring your assistance to bail them out (again).

Also, make sure you are providing good security, including keeping gateway and desktop virus protection up to date.

Collapse -

Thanks for the input. I will take this to the team leader and show that I'm not the only one that thinks like this.

Thanks for the fire power, Dennis

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)