General discussion

how to track network win2000 users

By nadine-r ·
please help me to choose the best solution for my problem .
i have a win2000 server , and about 100 pc computer some running win2000 and others win95 .
i need to know how from my win2000 server can i know what application is every user running on his machine ( for example he is opening a word session or surfing the net ..)
please i need your help as soon as possible

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by david.jiang In reply to how to track network win2 ...

Best one even you want to monitor more complex things is to use sniffer, install the sniffer agent on all your client PCs.

Also you can find a lot of freeware or shareware with less functional in download.com.

Collapse -

by nadine-r In reply to how to track network win2 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by dlw6 In reply to how to track network win2 ...

That's a huge thing to ask for. Why do you need to be able to do this? With more clarification of exactly what you need to be able to do, we can give you a better recommendation.

The only thing I can think of that meets your requirement, the ability to check what apps a user is running, is a help-desk type software with remote control capability. Intel LANDesk is one I have used, which lets you see the display and/or take control of another user's PC via the network. However, this costs several thousand dollars for a network of your size, and its purpose is to do remote help-desk things, not monitor users' activities, so it would take 15-20 seconds or so, per user, to see the screen, and it won't generate reports or lists.

There are a lot of "keylogging" utilities out there, which keep track of every keystroke of the users, usually without them knowing. That is at the zero-cost end of the spectrum, but someone would have to actually look at the files, and it's not what I would call "real-time information."

If the only thing you really need is to know how they are using the network, then the answer gets easier. There are over a dozen Intrustion Detection Systems that can tell you what is going on via the network atany given moment, and can generate reports. ISS RealSecure is one that I have used.

If the only thing you want to know is what they are doing with their computers, in general terms, then I suggest giving users permission to put their files in only one place (such as Documents and Settings on Win2K). Then, you can check that folder and look for documents, temporary internet files, and all the other evidence you need to see what they've been up to.

Without more detail on what you need to do and why, that's all I can offer.

Don

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to IT Employment Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)