General discussion

HP 5740 - Won't Turn on?

By joev ·
I work in an office with about 20 or so HP Deskjet 5740's. Last week our office lost power and the backup generator went on. When we came in on Monday, there were three people who were not able to power on thier printers at all. Everything was plugged in fine, and the printer was getting power, it just wasn't turning on.

I went around and changed the outlet that the printers were plugged into on the surge protector and they seem to work fine.

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why this happened. And why did this happen to only the Deskjets and not the workstations? It just seems like a really strange problem to me.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Mr.Wiz In reply to HP 5740 - Won't Turn on?

I've seen that happen to a few of my printers. Usually the surge has screwed up the plug on the surge protector. I guess if the printer still works in another plug the surge protector did its job.

Collapse -

by joev In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by j.lupo In reply to HP 5740 - Won't Turn on?

Mr. Wiz gave you the reason. You will want to replace your surge protecting power strips when you get a chance. The plug on them is now fried in all likely hood. I have had this happen many times.

As long as the equipment works in another outlet, then you only lost the surge protector outlet.

Collapse -

by joev In reply to

Collapse -

by yeddish In reply to HP 5740 - Won't Turn on?

Great answers. I just want to add this:

Before the power goes out, you generally get a quick spike. This quick and, often drastic, increase in voltage is what fried the power supplies for the printers.
Also, printer and laptop power supplies are usually more vulnerable to power spikes because they are less robust from being fit into smaller packages than desktop PC power supplies.

I hope that sheds a bit of light on it for ya'.

-Joel

Collapse -

by joev In reply to

Collapse -

by joev In reply to HP 5740 - Won't Turn on?

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)