General discussion

HP 6470Z Poor Performance with Win98

By MiracleMax ·
I have a HP 6470Z Pentium 2 PC with 256MB ram, 13GB HD. Recently a CD-RW drive was added along with additional memory. Outlook Express was upgraded to 6.0. Since doing all of these things to the pc, apps like Word97 take close to 5 minutes to load. I've had problems with printing simple 2 page documents. Have had to reboot 2 times just to get the document to print. Games that used to perform just fine, run very sluggish.
I checked available resources with Word97 open and it showed 60 % available.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can look for that is causing this poor performance? Any suggestions for what I can change that might help?

TIA

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to HP 6470Z Poor Performance ...

Tia,

How much memory did you add?
There are ducumented problems with more than 511MB of total memory in W98. I limit my W98 machines to 384MB to avoid the problem.

Check out Microsoft Knowledge Base articles Q253**2
Q184447

There is a workaround that you can use to limit the amount of memory available to Windows if you want to maximize your memory. Even though the articles refer to 512MB and 1GB, I would stay below 511MB.

Collapse -

by MiracleMax In reply to HP 6470Z Poor Performance ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to HP 6470Z Poor Performance ...

Performance could be the result of to much memory
Microsoft has documented that theoretically Win 98 will slow in performance with over 128m memory,check TechRepublic post on questions about memory as recently as last week

This being a PII,may be that you have more loaded on the machine that it is capable of upholding the performance,the system bus at 66mhz may not move data as fast

Depending on the setup you may have poor performance from power,hard drive speed,software and hardware configured on the machine

Run scandisk and defrag the machine,this may help,also consider how the machine was running before you added the upgrades

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Lord Foul In reply to HP 6470Z Poor Performance ...

I would remove Outlook Express 6 and revert to version 5 of the said program. I find Win 98 works best with version 5. I had a similar problem with the adding of a CD burner and updating my browser to IE6, by reverting to V.5 problem solved.

GoodLuck!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by dgust In reply to HP 6470Z Poor Performance ...

Perhaps you should disconnect the CD drive and try the system. I suspect that the IDE controller now has the CD on the hard drive channel and the entire channel has slowed to the CD speed. Always put the CDs on a second channel and leave HD drives on a separate channel. I hope this helps.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums