General discussion

HP CD Writer Plus 9100b wont burn

By M.R.Chambers ·
I have an internal HP CD-Writer Plus 9100b, operating under win2000. The burner is detected properly and has a 'working correctly' status, and will read CDs without a problem, but I cannot get it to actually burn CDs. I have used several different programs (Nero, BlindWrite suite, CD Mate...) and none of them seem to be able to get the thing to start burning.

I only recently upgraded to win2000 from 98. Under 98 the burner would work, but with only about 50% success, and then only on the slowest speed (2x). I have been to HP's support pages for the CD Writer Plus, but they only have the 9100i or the 9110, not the 9100b. For the 9100i they say that the drivers should work properly under 2000, but that the acompanying software (Adaptec Easy CD or something) wont. Therefore, I have not installed this software, only the drivers.

I have also tried to find specific win2000 drivers for the 9100b, but have been unsuccessful.

Can anyone think of a possible solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance,
M.R.Chambers

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TechKid In reply to HP CD Writer Plus 9100b w ...

This link should give you an expert look at how a CD burner works and you should be able to figure out why your burner will read disks but won't burn.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cd-burner.htm

Collapse -

by M.R.Chambers In reply to HP CD Writer Plus 9100b w ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by mrafrohead In reply to HP CD Writer Plus 9100b w ...

Okay, first thing is... How fast is your computer... How do you have the drive installed??? Is it on IDE1 with your HD??? Is it Master on IDE2???

Second, you're gonna love this one. For Windoze 2000 I HIGHLY recommend acquiring a set of ASPIdrivers. Windoze 2000 doesn't come with them. Therefore you need to get them after market. I have a set that I have been using for a couple of years now and they work perfectly. If you would like me to get them to you, send me an e-mail.

Other than that, you want to make sure that your software is compatible with your hardware. Personally, depending on what you are burning, I would use Nero for the general stuff, and then for more specific types of applications, I would use more specific types of software.

But anywho - I hope that this helps you a little bit. Should you have any questions at all, please send me a note. I'm more than happy to help out

mrafrohead
@yahoo.com

Collapse -

Thanks heaps, Mr Afrohead. It's finally working.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)