Question

HP Compaq nx7400 upgrade path

By Barry ZA ·
I have just purchased an HP nx7400 with the Celeron M 1.73MHz CPU. I was buying on price and the dual-core CPU notebooks were just outside my budget. However, after perusing HP's site, I noticed that there are nx7400 notebooks with the dual-core CPUs installed. Now the question... Can I install the dual-core CPU into this notebook at some later date, or is the motherboard different? Emails to HP have fallen on deaf ears (or blind eyes).
Thanks
Barry Eslick

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You should be able to change the CPU over

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to HP Compaq nx7400 upgrade ...

But depending on the way that the NB is made this can be a major job entailing removing the keyboard and several things under that to reach the CPU's Heat-sink that needs to be removed and then the CPU removed and the replacement one fitted.

You'll have to get the right type of CPU and here is a list of the suitable CPU's as stated by HP

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7400 (2.16-GHz, 667-FSB, 4-MB L2 cache)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2.0-GHz, 667-FSB, 4-MB L2 cache)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5600 (1.83-GHz, 667-FSB, 2-MB L2 cache)*
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5500 (1.66-GHz, 667-FSB, 2-MB L2 cache)*
Intel Celeron M Processor 430* (1.73-GHz, 533-MHz FSB, 1-MB L2 cache)

Though you may find that you get a massive improvement if you add more RAM as this is cheaper than replacing the CPU and generally speaking offers better performance per $ Spent.

Col

Collapse -

If you have never worked on a notebook...

by JamesRL In reply to You should be able to cha ...

...Then you may want to reconsider. They are not designed to be easy to replace CPUs, unlike RAM. You may also want to verify that you can run a Core 2 Duo at the right speeds to take advantage....if the FSB doesn't run any faster that 533, you might be able to put in the faster chip but it will be running slower than its potential.

I agree with HAL - max out the RAM. Don't mess around with another CPU. If you really need more power, sell the notebook and buy a new one.

James

Back to Hardware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)