Question

HP DC6000 - AC Adaptor Problems

By Nia_Organa ·
I am having issues with my laptop, it works fine running off the battery alone, but as soon as i plug in the ac adaptor, the laptop will freeze. I have tried my spare battery, same issue, I have tried my spare charger, same issue (both battery and charger are correct ones for the laptop) I have done a disk cleanup, defrag, virus scans and these were all ok. I ran a memory check and this failed at 18.5% so I have ordered some new memory just encase, but i cant see this causing the issue? I have booted of a linux disk and the laptop would not boot so its not a HDD problem. I have taken the battery out and have the laptop has been working fine for about 20minutes, the laptop usually freezes instantly when the ac adaptor is plugged in. In this case I assume the both batterys are faulty, but the laptop runs ok off a charged battery? Any help and ideas please?

After just posting this, the laptop frooze again whilst no battery and running off AC alone. I forgot to mention that I two 512 RAM sticks in the laptop, I tried each one in turn and the laptop frooze on using each stick

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Faulty memory (RAM)

by Jacky Howe In reply to HP DC6000 - AC Adaptor Pr ...

will cause these symptoms. A couple of things to try while you are waiting for your new RAM.

I would give the inside of the case a blowout with compressed air. When blowing air through the fans make sure that you physically stop them from spinning, as they may generate power and **** something up. Remembering to ground yourself by placing the back of your hand on the Power Supply Unit or a metal part on the PC and not moving your feet. By not taking this precaution it is possible that you could inadvertantly cause damage to the PC from an electrostatic discharge. Then remove the Heatsink, giving it a thorough clean and reseat the CPU applying new CPU grease. If the Fans spin freely when you give them a spin they are probably OK. If there is resistance replace them.

Clean the Cooling Vents

Depending on the model, vents can be found on the side, back, and/or bottom of the notebook PC. These vents allow air to flow through the PC and keep it cool. Buildup inside these vents impedes the cooling process.

Clean I/O Ports

The back of the notebook PC has a series of ports. After cleaning the cooling vents, take the compressed air and **** out any debris that may have accumulated in and around these ports.

Clean the golden edge of each memory stick with a soft rubber/eraser, remembering not to touch the golden edge of the memory stick. Check with one stick at a time, remembering to disconnect the power from the PC.

Back to Hardware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)