Question

HP DV5000 blank screen but works with external monitor

By Stickman52 ·
HP DV5000 blank screen but works with external monitor. Inverter replaced as well as lcd ribbon. I assume it must be a video card problem but I hate to have to replace the entire motherboard. any suggrstions other than to trash this junk pile?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Check your lid switch

by robo_dev In reply to HP DV5000 blank screen bu ...

Also make sure you're toggling the video properly (that fn+F8 sequence??)

If you've got video from the VGA port, your motherboard is fine.
Remember that the lid-switch, inverter, cable, and CFL lamp are separate from the Video GPU.

If it's the lamp, I would recommend swapping out the display, as lamp replacement is the one laptop repair that just never goes well, in my experience.

If your backlight is not working, shine a really bright flashlight at the screen to see if you see the screen image.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by Stickman52 In reply to Check your lid switch

The backlight does come on, but there is No image what so ever. Everything works perfectly when hooked to external monitor. From what I've read, it may be a faulty video card, but if that's the problem, wouldn't the external monitor also be blank?

Collapse -

LAPTOP TECHNICIAN LOOKING JOB

by kiranfocuz In reply to HP DV5000 blank screen bu ...

I HAVE 5 YEAR EXPERINCE LAPTOP SERVICE . TOSHIBA , HP, LENOVO ,DELL , ACER BRAND I CAN SERVICE WELL

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by robo_dev In reply to LAPTOP TECHNICIAN LOOKING ...

I'm not sure exactly how we can help you here with that.

Two suggestions:

First of all, TR is not a job search or referral service. There are web sites for that, and this is not one of them.

First Impressions Count: While English may not be your first language, it would serve you well to take extra time to use correct spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.

Collapse -

Backlight out?

by dcolbert Contributor In reply to HP DV5000 blank screen bu ...

If the ribbon is good, and the external video works, then I would guess it *isn't* most likely the video card.

I'd check and see if the display IS working, just faintly, because the lamp has burned out on the LCD. This can make a darker LCD look dead at a casual glance.

If that isn't the case, then the LCD is more likely bad than the video card. You might want to gamble on buying a replacement LCD and seeing if that fixes the problem. Ebay is a good place to look. We've done this a number of times at my shop, and we've been right every time. Of course, the one time you're wrong, you've got a few problems... Does the LCD that was shipped to you actually work? If it does, then you've got some other problem, and an extra LCD that you may not be able to return. If it turns out to be the backlight lamp, you can usually replace *just* that, as well.

Have you made sure that video isn't redirected to ONLY external display? Often there will be a Fn F-Key combo that will cycle between:

Output to Internal LCD ONLY
Output to External display ONLY
Output to both internal LCD and external display at the same time.

Often it'll have an icon of a display, or of two displays separated by a bar.

Generally modern laptops will revert to the internal LCD if no external display is found... but it might be worth a shot.

Back to Hardware Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)