Question

HP G7000 Core Temperature

By edsbox ·
I have an HP G7000 with Intel Celeron M 550 (Conroe-L) processor running at 2GHz, Windows Vista Home Premium.

I recently played with Ubuntu Linux and decided to do an install on a separate partition. At the point of installation where it asks to re-partition the drive to make space for Ubuntu I decided to abort the installation.

After rebooting my Notebook shut down during bootup but without warning, just like all power has been cut without warning. I tried several times but no luck. Tried to restore Vista to earlier known-good configs but the same problem.

Out of frustration I left it and the next day switched on again - it started without problem. I had it running for a while and then rebooted again, same problem - it goes as far as letting me log in and then shuts down. I found that when the Notebook is cold it boots up but as soon as I reboot it, the problem is back.

Today I downloaded Core Temp from http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ to test the CPU temperature. I'm shocked to find it's running basically constantly at 92 degrees C. This doesn't seem right as the program reports the system's maximum is 100 degrees C. I've noticed over the past few months the fan runs at high-speed all the time which makes me think the whole Ubuntu thing was just co-incidence.

I enabled logging on Core Temp and found after some testing with reboots and allowing it to cool down the last logged entry before these shut downs is always above 100 degrees C, even as high as 127. The core load also suddenly jumps to 100% from below an average of 20% just before this happens.

The Notebook is not even a year old and has only really been used for the last three months, before that it was just ocassionally used for Windows and HP built-in games - so it hasn't really worked hard.

Anyone out there with ideas and please, if anyone has a G7000, will you please install Core Temp and let me know what temp yours report.

Also, how to check what makes my CPU load jump suddenly without me starting anything.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Share your knowledge
Back to Hardware Forum
0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums