General discussion

HP jetdirect 170X

By mnghishekwa ·
I have HP jetdirect 170X series without it original CD.

I would like to use to connect hp lj1100 printer.

Does anybody know to configure this. Downloaded Jet Web Admin. Does not find it. followed steps from HP web site. Does not help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Jennifer.Gardner In reply to HP jetdirect 170X

Did you check the HP website first to see if the 170x print server is compatible with the LJ 1100? It won't work with all HP printers.

Collapse -

by mnghishekwa In reply to HP jetdirect 170X

I haven't done that yet? One question! when yoou press test on the device it print out the spects together with the default ip address of the jetdirect. Is that not an indication I only need to configure the jetdirect to the IP address?

Collapse -

by Chris910 In reply to HP jetdirect 170X

If you have the 170X with the b revision it will work with this printer. JxxxxB the A revision has certain issues but may work depending on your network setup.

--You will need a crossover network cable or a hub and two patch cords to connect a computer directly to the print server.
--Connect the printer to the print server and then to the computer that you are going to use to configure the print server. (It's best if you are not on the network yet depending on your configuration)
--Temporarily change the computers IP address to 192.0.0.1.
--Now reset the Print server to it's default values. While holding down the test button Apply power to the print server. Then you can release it. Wait at least 2 min. for the print server to complete it's initial configuration.

--At this point there are three options:
---Use 192.0.0.192 as the url in your browser, then configure the settings using this interface. (remember, Change the TCP/IP settings after all other changes have been applied.)(this is the simplest for configuring the print server but is subject to browser settings.)
---Create a connection using hyperterminal. 192.0.0.19, port 23, TCP/IP (winsock), and under settings-ASCII setup-check echo typed charactors locally. Follow directions at the prompt. Help displays all of the commands. remember that most commands are lower case and the settings are uppercase. (IE. host-name:THENAME)
---Telnet 192.0.0.192 from a command prompt. ( the charactors you type will not be displayed as you type them but will be sent to the print server when you hit enter. Use the / to verify the changes you have made. (this is the simplest to setup but the least friendly to use)

-Now that the changes have been made you should be able to plug the print server into your network with no problems. To verify your settings tap the test button on the print server and it will print a test/configuration page to the printer.

Back to Desktop Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)