General discussion

Hp laserjet 4000-paper not leaving tray

By RG11 ·
I have a HP jaserjet 4000 and keep getting repeat 13.1.50 paper jams. The paper starts to leave the tray, then stops after moving about 1/2 inch up the paper path. When I open the paper tray, the page is setting on top of the tray. From here I open the paper tray, put the page back in the paper stack, open and close the top cover, put the printer back online and hope it prints out. Any suggestion on which part to replace....

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Hp laserjet 4000-paper no ...

The pickup rollers should have rough surface. If they are slick, very smooth, they should be replaced. HP recommends cleaning with cloth and warm water. If this works it usually will not last long. You can use alcohol pads as last resort to get backin service.

The following is from:

http://www.depot-america.com/TechSupport/paperjamsolutionsforthehp.htm

(REMOVE SPACES FROM the pasted URL.)

1. Isolate the jam by determining where it is occurring. This sounds much easier than it looks because a jam can be caused by more than one thing, and some jams do not occur frequently enough to be isolated. Solid failures are easier to isolate. Is it happening as the paper goes in, while it?s coming out, or somewhere in between? Turn off the printer?s power if the jam is far inside the printer. You can tell how far along the jam is by how much of the paper has already emerged onto the paper output tray. If you see only an inch of paper poking out??or none at all??chances are there?s some ugly stuff going on in the inside of the printer. You don?t know until you look inside whether a part was merely out of place, constituting an isolated incident or whether internal wear and tear has been building up for a long time, which means you have a festering problem on your hands.

2. Once the jammed paper is discovered, grasp it firmly with both hands and pull straight so the paper doesn?t tear. It is very important to use both hands, leveraging your strength on both sides of the paper because you could create more problems if it tears inside the printer.

3.If the paper happens to rip, rotate the gears by hand to back the remainder of the paper out of the printer.

(continued in comments...)

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Hp laserjet 4000-paper no ...

Now that you?ve discovered where the jam is occurring, you?ll most likely have to replace a few parts if it appears to be a festering problem. (If it appears that one function was offline, you can chalk it up to chance and possible misuse.)
1. With the LaserJet 4000, replace the Tray 1 assembly if jams occur while the paper attempts to pass through this tray. The paper output assembly should be replaced if jams frequently emerge as paper exits the machine in the face down mode. With the 5si, replace the tray one assembly for all manual feed jam problems. The 5si?s input feed mechanism should solve most of your paper jam problems coming from trays 2 and 3.

2. Replace the fuser if the jam occurs as the paper comes out of the fuser. This is true for both the 4000 and 5si.

3. The controller board should be the last part replaced when trying to isolate these jams.

If you are pressed for time, and need a ?quick fix,? I recommend cleaning the feed rollers rather than replacing them. However, for longer lasting results, replacing the rollers is your best option. For most paper jam difficulties, reading HP?s information will help you troubleshoot the problem in about an hour, depending on your familiarity with the machine. Most importantly, knowing the machine and isolating the problem will save you time and a lot of headaches, not to mention make your end users happy.

Good luck,

Maxwell

Collapse -

by RG11 In reply to Hp laserjet 4000-paper no ...

I replaced the feed rollers which one is located in the paper tray and one was above the paper tray. Still had the problem. Then the only other roller in the area of the jam was the pickup roller(4 half moon looking rollers above the paper tray). These were kinda smooth so I roughed the surface up a bit with sandpaper,cleaned up the rollers and it worked. Now I will order a ner pickup roller.......

Collapse -

by RG11 In reply to Hp laserjet 4000-paper no ...

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

by Stillatit In reply to Hp laserjet 4000-paper no ...

This will sound strange, but start by replacing the paper. Open a sealed ream of paper, load the tray, and the problem may disappear. Often either damp or very dry conditions can affect your paper so that it feeds poorly.

Another paper-related thing to check is whether you recently changed paper brands or specifications. Some lightweight or slick papers are just more likely to jam than the "standard" copier papers.

If it is not the paper, look at the last roller(s) that touched the paper,and how the roller(s) touch the paper and are tensioned. That is a good place to look for a mechanical problem.

Good luck.

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)